Chandigarh: A Haryana bureaucrat, who played a crucial role in unearthing a post-matric scholarship scam of nearly Rs 19 crore, has been transferred from the department which is under the scanner. Officer Sanjeev Verma was shifted on Thursday from the Department of Welfare of Schedules Castes and Backward Classes and posted as the Special Secretary and Director, Archives Department. According to the government, Verma’s transfer is a routine affair. Also Read – Modi formed OBC commission which earlier govts didn’t do: Shah Taking the lead from Verma’s investigation, Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar last month asked the State Vigilance Bureau to probe the multi-crore post-matric scholarship scam. The bureaucrat revealed how the funds meant for the Scheduled Caste and Backward Class students were fraudulently diverted by changing Aadhaar numbers of beneficiaries to the others who were not eligible for the scholarship. Officials said Verma initially unearthed the scam in Sonipat district where Rs 3.53 crore was illegally transferred to other accounts. Later, this amount swelled to Rs 18.45 crore. Also Read – Prohibitory orders lifted from Mumbai’s stir-hit Aarey Colony Verma, who is currently on leave, has been demanding a special audit by the Accountant General as Rs 236 crore has been disbursed under post-matric scholarship in the three years. Last month he threatened to sit on fast outside the Chandigarh Police headquarters here as it was taking much time to register a case based on his report. Subsequently, a case was registered on May 13. The report pointed out misappropriation of funds to the tune of Rs 14.92 crore in Sonepat, Rohtak, Panipat and Fatehabad districts in connivance with officials.
Rabat – After the heinous Imlil murders, authorities in the region of Marrakech-Safi took preventive measures to protect the region’s tourism sector. After the installation of checkpoints and surveillance cameras, gendarmerie officers are now equipped with quads.Local authorities continue to strengthen the preventive measures in order to avoid any incidents similar to the murder of the two Scandinavian tourists in Imlil. They have undertaken concrete action to protect tour groups throughout their travels in Morocco.On July 22, the Royal Gendarmerie provided quads to its units and its mobile officers. The vehicles are intended to monitor tourists during their visit to the Marrakech-Safi region, known for a large tourist influx throughout the year. These quads have several features which allow them to navigate the varied terrain of the region consisting mainly of lanes and steep valleys, as well as dangerous mountain roads.According to Al Ahdath Al Maghribia, the quads are expected to be used across tourist-friendly valleys and ski resorts such as Ourika, Oukeimeden, Asni, Moulay Brahim and Imlil.These security measures were substantially strengthened in the wake of the Imlil murders. In December 2018, two young Scandinavian tourists were victims of a terrorist cell affiliated with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).The two hikers, Louisa Vesterager and Maren Ueland, had camped in “Chamharouch” near the village of Imlil. The two women were beheaded by three extremists who have recently been sentenced to death. The remaining 21 accomplices have been sentenced to between 5 and 30 years in prison.
Food manufacturers have been told to cut sugar by 20 per cent by 2020Credit:Alamy “We will publish details of exactly who is doing what and in the event which we don’t see progress we will be giving further advice to the Government.“We can’t duck the fact a third of children are leaving primary school overweight or obese and obesity generally is having a profound effect, not just on the costs offer the health service, but on the overall health of the nation. This is the most ambitious childhood obesity plan in the world.” “However, the missing factor in this report is how these targets will be enforced. We’ve seen over recent weeks that some companies within the food and drink industry have made great progress whilst others are seriously lagging behind and others claiming wrongly that they can’t do it.”However, Duncan Selbie, the Chief Executive of PHE, said companies who failed to meet the targets would be named and shamed, and argued that implementing legislation would leave the Government open to years of protracted argument in the courts.“We didn’t want to spend years in judicial review arguing about whether a jaffa cake is a cake of a biscuit,” he said. Show more But the new guidance states that companies who do not want to reformulate can meet targets by simply cutting the size of their products. PHE said chocolate companies may find reformulation ‘difficult’ and that reducing size was probably the most sensible solution.However, anti-obesity campaigners warned that without reformulation shoppers would encourage shoppers to buy two smaller bars.Tam Fry, of the National Obesity Forum, said: “Simply down-sizing sugary food is not the answer. Of the four options given to industry to remove 20 per cent sugar from their products, down-sizing runs the real risk that people will buy two of whatever the product is and eat substantially more.“The preferred option is to reformulate the entire product and replace sugar with other ingredients.”Although other experts praised the sugar reduction targets, they questioned whether manufacturers would actually meet the voluntary commitment if there were no sanctions for failing to comply. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. Chocolate bars are likely to shrink by a fifth in the next three years after Public Health England told sweet manufacturers they could meet obesity targets by cutting product size.Today PHE published new guidelines which call on food manufacturers to reduce the sugar content of cereals, breakfast goods, yoghurts, biscuits, ice creams, sweet spreads and confectionery by 20 per cent by 2020.The cuts are intended to reduce the number of children who are overweight or obese by the end of the decade and take 200,000 tons of sugar out of the British diet each year. A record percentage of children now have weight problems with one in three overweight or obese, by the time they leave primary school at the age of 10 or 11. Studies have shown that being overweight in childhood makes future health problems, such as Type 2 diabetes, far more likely and places a huge burden on the NHS. Under the Government’s plan, from 2018 a sugar tax will be imposed on drinks which have more than 5g of sugar per 100m, which would add around 7p to can of Coca-cola. Graham MacGregor, professor of Cardiovascular Medicine at Queen Mary University of London and chairman of Action on Sugar, said: “We congratulate PHE’s tremendous achievement on setting coherent and achievable sugar reduction targets in such a short space of time.