Google+ Twitter By Associated Press – April 14, 2020 7 709 Facebook Indiana Health Commissioner pushes expected peak into May CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Previous articleMichigan governor: Virus infection curve starting to flattenNext articleMichigan to buy back liquor as Whitmer extends restrictions Associated PressNews from the Associated Press and its network of reporters and publications. Dr. Kristina Box, Indiana Health Commissioner, answers questions about COVID-19 infections and its impact on the state as Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb listens during a briefing at the Statehouse in Indianapolis, Tuesday, March 24, 2020. Holcomb ordered state residents to remain in their homes except when they are at work or for permitted activities, such as taking care of others, obtaining necessary supplies, and for health and safety. The order is in effect from March 25 to April 7. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy) INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana’s health commissioner says actions aimed at stemming the spread of the coronavirus have pushed back the expected peak of illnesses in the state and given hospitals more time to prepare.The COVID-19 death toll for Indiana has reached at least 350 people as health officials on Monday reported seven additional deaths.Previous projections had shown Indiana could be seeing a surge of illnesses as early as this week, but Health Commissioner Dr. Kristina Box says that is now expected in late April for the Indianapolis area and the first weeks of May for rest of the state. WhatsApp WhatsApp Pinterest Pinterest Google+ Facebook Twitter
Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionThe Friends of Clifton Park Open Space wish to express our thanks to the residents of the Shenendehowa school district who voted to approve the sale of 37 acres of surplus land to the town of Clifton Park. The town now has the opportunity to engage the public in a planning process that will benefit the entire southern Saratoga County region. We look forward to this process taking shape in the near future.We also wish to thank the many supporters who devoted their time and/or financial resources to support this vote. It was the hard work of our citizens that led to this sale.There is an old Native American proverb, “We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.” The results of the vote on Dec. 5, as well as the result last April, have preserved this land for generations.Susan BurtonRexford More from The Daily Gazette:Police: Schenectady woman tried to take car in Clifton Park hours after arrest, release in prior the…Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homes
30 Ormond Street, Ascot, has been in the same fmaily for 60 yearsStephen Jones has good reason to hold fond memories of Kulumadau, an understated heritage house standing proud at 30 Ormond St in the Brisbane suburb of Ascot.The five-bedroom house has been in his family for 60 years and is where he spent his childhood – and much of his adulthood too. Stephen left home at 29, when he married and moved to Grange, but often returned to Ormond St for family celebrations and landmark events.His mother, Tessa, and father Lawrence Jones, who was awarded an OAM, bought the property in 1960 after returning from Papua New Guinea. The couple relocated there after World War II to help with the regeneration of the country’s agricultural crops. “When they returned they bought 30 Ormond St from a widow whose husband had been the manager of a sauce factory located at the end of the street. My grandmother lived across the road, so family was close by,” Stephen says. RELATED Doors to the past reveal a jewel It turned out to be the perfect place for the Joneses to start a new life and, with three older sisters, Stephen says the house quickly became the epicentre of family gatherings. “My mother was quite a celebrated cook and if we weren’t sitting around the dining room table, we were gathered around the pool outside,” Stephen says. “We’ve had many generations congregate there over the years.”After the deaths of both his parents, who were avid collectors of antiques, Stephen and his sisters made the difficult decision to put the house on the market. They have spent the past 12 months clearing the property of their parents’ things.“When you live in one place for 60 years you accumulate a lot of stuff, things you have long forgotten about. We found some really old treasures. It brought back a lot of memories and a greater understanding of our family history,” Stephen says. “Yet after stripping everything out, we came to a collective decision that the time had come for someone else to start their history here; for someone else to put their footprint on it.”There is certainly much about the property for potential buyers to admire.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus9 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market9 hours agoIf you are after heritage characteristics this Queenslander has them in spades; some were added or enhanced by Stephen’s father, who was a keen woodworker.“The house has character that will appeal to people who appreciate history. It puts you in touch with that time in Australia when every house had a story,” Stephen says. “The leadlights, ironmongery and wood carving; the skills to create these things are gone. You can’t fake these types of features these days. They’ll always be missing from new homes.” Federation features can be found in almost every room, from the carved archways in the formal sitting room (Stephen’s favourite in the house), to the ornate balustrade on the stairs, to the wood-panelled walls and stained-glass windows dotted throughout the property. While the house sits on three separately titled lots, totalling 1215sq m, its original footprint has not been extended since the Joneses moved in, so there’s plenty of room for expansion. “You could extend the lower floor out a great deal, make it a big entertaining area that flows out to the pool,” Stephen says. He hopes that whoever buys the property will be keen to start a new family chapter in what has been their treasured home. “When you’ve lived in a federation, or wooden house, there’s nothing like it. There’s a real warmth about it. It’s all about home and hearth. I’ll miss that, but it’s time for another family’s story to begin here.”You can view 30 Ormond St today at 10.45am. It will be auctioned on site at 1pm on April 4, with auctioneer Haesley Cush. Young expats fly in to snap up a dream cottage
The eight-year-old led the field for much of the two-mile journey in the Grade One contest and although he was headed by the Gary Moore-trained Sire De Grugy before the home turn, he rallied for pressure in the straight. Henry de Bromhead’s raider was still in with a chance of victory before being broadsided in mid-air by the eventual winner jumping the final fence and after a battle on the run-in, Sire De Grugy passed the post three-quarters of a length in front. De Bromhead confirmed on Sunday an appeal was being considered and that he believed the interference cost his charge victory. Rowley-Williams said on Monday afternoon: “Everything is still being considered. I believe we have seven days to decide, but we won’t leave it that long. We’ll make a decision by the end of the week. “I’m having discussions with my solicitor and we’re waiting for some data to come back. There won’t be a decision today.” Special Tiara’s owner Sally Rowley-Williams will wait until later in the week before deciding whether to appeal the result of Saturday’s Tingle Creek Chase at Sandown. Press Association
Facebook191Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Thurston CountyLast Wednesday, Thurston County entered Phase 3 of the Governor’s Safe Start plan. The Governor and the State Secretary of Health issued a masking directive that took effect Friday 6/26. This replaces our local masking directive for residents and is in addition to the Governor’s issued mandate about masking in workplaces. Our long-term care outbreak is under control and we continue monitoring. Over the past few weeks, we have received 5-9 positive reports almost every day. Some recent cases are travel associated (to areas with a rapid rise in cases, like Arizona). There are some household contacts of confirmed cases, some exposed from meeting up with friends, some are work related (not in healthcare) and the rest have been exposed in the community. In general, cases are affecting younger folks. The danger is that the disease continues to spread in our community.As restrictions ease up, we are going out more, doing more activities, visiting and gathering in larger groups. The risk of exposure increases with every action we take. If you are at high risk and vulnerable, limit outings, keep your distance, maintain your hand hygiene and wear your face covering. These are the best ways to keep you safe. For all others – PLEASE KEEP YOUR DISTANCE AND WEAR YOUR FACE COVER WHEN YOU ARE IN PUBLIC. For younger folks in the workforce and engaging in more social interactions – YOU can become infected and YOU can pass on COVID-19 two days before you even know you are sick. We need to all work together to keep the case numbers low and to protect our most vulnerable folks who are at risk of hospitalization and death.Why should I worry? I am young and healthy, and I will get over it.Anybody can get infected. When you become infected, it takes a few days for symptoms to show up. You are contagious for up to two days before you show any signs and for 7-10 days after. You can pass this on if you are not careful with handwashing, covering your nose and mouth, or keeping your distance from others. If you happen to be one of the unlucky younger folks that gets severely affected, you may end up with lung impairment, kidney failure as well as other organ damage. You could pass this on to some of your friends that might have asthma or diabetes.I will be leaving this temporary position to resume my status as a retired public health professional. It has been a challenging and rewarding past 4 months. I hope I have been able to make a difference. As a member of the community, I will continue to listen to advice from our local public health professionals. Since I am in the vulnerable age group, I plan to continue to limit my outings and group gatherings to places where I can see physical distancing and face coverings encouraged. I need to protect myself too.Your new Health Officer is Dr. Dimyana Abdelmalek. She holds a medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, New York. She completed an Emergency Medicine residency at Washington University in Saint Louis, Missouri and a Master in Public Health degree from Case Western University in Cleveland, Ohio. Over the years, she has been able to spend time doing international public health work in the Middle East. Her grandmother lives on Vashon Island, so she is excited to be closer to family.For the past three years, she has worked as an Emergency Physician at Kaiser Permanente Redwood City Medical Center in California. For the past year and half, she led the HEDSUP group. The HEDSUP group uses a multidisciplinary approach to connect patients with complex medical and social needs with resources which include: primary care, psychiatry, patient care coordination, and intensive case management. She is excited to be joining the Thurston County Public Health and Social Services Department. She brings a well-rounded background, fresh ideas and a comprehensive approach to community health. I am looking forward to her advocating for the health of Thurston County residents. Welcome!!Stay healthy everyone and protect yourself from COVID-19. Our future generations will be talking about this pandemic the way we talk about the 1918 Flu pandemic. Learn from the lessons of the past. We have had 100 years of improvement in disease control due to public health measures. We continue to learn more about COVID-19 and refine recommendations to better protect you and me. Bottom line, KEEP YOUR DISTANCE, WASH YOUR HANDS AND WEAR A FACE COVER WHEN OUT IN PUBLIC.See you around town, from a distance. Take care. Thank you for caring about our community and each other.Diana. T. Yu, MD, MSPHActing Health Officer, Thurston County (until 6/30/2020)
Home ice didn’t pay off this weekend for the Kootenay Ice in BC Major Midget League action in the West Kootenay.The Vancouver Northeast Chiefs skated away with a pair of one-side wins Saturday in Nelson and Sunday morning in Trail.The Chiefs, third overall in BCMMHL standings with a 15-7-2 record, out scored the Ice 16-4 in the two-game series.Vancouver dumped Kootenay 9-1 Saturday at the NDCC Arena in Nelson before rallying from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Ice 7-3 Sunday at the Cominco Arena in Trail.Kyle Johnson scored three times for the Chiefs in the opener while Parker Colley had four assists. Blake Sidoni of Trail scored the lone goal for the Ice, which trailed at the period breaks 3-0 and 7-0.Sunday, Kootenay led 1-0 after one period on a goal by Aigne McGready-Bruce of Nelson.Kootenay then scored twice early in the second period.Sidoni, with his second in two games, and Matthew Alderson of Trail put Kootenay up by three goals five minutes into the middle frame.But the Chiefs rallied to score four times in the final 11 minutes of the period before putting the game away with three goals in the third period.Devon Stafford scored three times to lead the Chiefs.Solomon Burk of Castlegar and Jason Mailhiot of Trail tended goal for the Ice.Kootenay, dropping to 3-18-3 on the season, hosts cellar–dwelling Thompson Blazers Saturday (5:45 p.m.) and Sunday (9:45 a.m.) at the NDCC Arena.The Blazers enter the game with one win in 22 games.
Trafalgar entered two teams into the weekend tournament.Based on regular season standings both teams were granted byes to the semi-finals of the six-team tournamentSHSS defeated JL Crowe for a spot against Trafalgar B in the first semifinal.Grand Forks defeated Mt Sentinel to advance to play Trafalgar A in the second semifinal. The Rockers advanced to the final as Trafalgar B squad struggled on the offensive end, scoring a 46-6 victory.Meanwhile, the other Thunder squad rolled up a 28-13-halftime lead en route to a 41-28 victory over Grand Forks Wolves.Pan paced Trafalgar with 13 points while Erickson added 12.Kozak and Quinn Kilpatrick each added six and five points, respectively. Van Kozak, Nathaniel Pan and Matt Erickson combined for 38 points to power the Trafalgar Thunder to a convincing 56-18 decision over Stanley Humphries Rockers in the final of the West Kootenay Grade 8 Boy’s Basketball Championship Tournament Saturday in Castlegar.The Thunder jumped to a 15-2 first quarter lead, 29-8 at recess, and never looked back.Kozak led the Thunder with 14 points while Erickson and Pan each added 12.Matteo Kataoka chipped in five points while Grade 7 Kelton Forte added eight.