Environmental factors influencing the pigment composition of in situ benthic microbial communities in east Antarctic lakes

first_imgTo compile reference data for palaeolimnological studies using fossil pigments, we examined the extent to which environmental variables, gross morphology and species composition influence the modern pigment content of in situ microbial communities in 62 east Antarctic lakes. Pigment contents, measured using HPLC, were compared with 32 environmental variables, gross microbial mat morphology and cyanobacterial species composition in each lake. Results showed low concentrations or an absence of pigments in the water columns of most lakes. For benthic microbial communities, multivariate statistical analyses identified lake depth as the most important factor explaining pigment composition. In deeper lakes the pigment composition was dominated by chlorophylls, in intermediate depth lakes by chlorophylls and carotenoids, and in shallow lakes by scytonemins, ultraviolet-screening pigments found in cyanobacteria. In addition to lake depth, conductivity, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, sulphate and geographical location were all significant (p less than or equal to 0.05) in explaining variance in the pigment content. Significant differences in microbial mat gross morphologies occurred at different lake depths (p less than or equal to 0.01), and were characterised by significant differences in their pigment content (p less than or equal to 0.004). Despite the high abundance of scytonemin in shallow lakes, there were only limited changes in the absolute concentrations of chlorophylls and carotenoids. We conclude that lake depth is the most significant factor influencing both gross mat morphology and pigment content, presumably as a result of its influence on the light climate. In general, the ability of the cyanobacteria to regulate their pigment content, morphology, community composition and motility to best exploit the light environment at different lake depths may explain their dominance in these systems.last_img read more

4 ways email will drive growth for your credit union – if you use the right tools

first_img Cut Loan Delinquency RatesNo one enjoys making collection calls, and one of Doxim’s client credit unions wanted to use emails to replace or minimize the need for performing this costly and unpleasant task. The email platform delivered delinquency notice messages to members’ inboxes five days after the due date (instead of the traditional 15 days). The result? Within one week after sending 673 emails, the credit union received 423 payments!   Generate Cross-Sell and Upsell OpportunitiesA robust email marketing platform can use the information a credit union already has to generate targeted, effective marketing messages. Analyzing product ownership can help identify members who might be interested in additional products. For instance, if a car loan is about to mature, it’s a good time to send a new offer – especially if current rates are better.Email messages can be changed to reflect a member’s circumstances. For example, if she has a HELOC, an offer customized to available credit could include appropriate improvement suggestions or vacation ideas. That way, members with a higher amount available receive suggestions for a down payment on a vacation home, while those with smaller amounts are told about home renovations or vacations.Here’s one final example of how a target email campaign can get quick results. A Doxim client wanted to increase adoption of its new credit card. After sending personalized email offers to a targeted group of members, the credit union received $283K in credit card balance transfer requests in just one month.Reap the RewardsEmail marketing is a low cost, highly effective way to boost sales and connect with your members. But the effectiveness of email marketing means today’s consumer receives dozens of offers every day. For yours to grab attention, the campaigns must be relevant to members’ felt needs.An advanced email marketing platform, designed specifically to meet the needs of financial institutions’ marketers, can simplify the process of  delivering automated multi-step, trigger-based campaigns that reach members in a way that will get their attention. Add the right tools and processes to your own CU marketing know-how, and you’ll have a winning combination to increase both revenue and member engagement. 58SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Olga Zakharenkava Olga Zakharenkava is the VP, Demand Marketing at Doxim, a leading provider of cloud-based customer engagement solutions for credit unions and wealth management firms. Find out more at www.doxim.com Web: www.doxim.com Details Mark Twain famously said reports of his death were greatly exaggerated. If email marketing were a person, it could say the same thing. Like fashionistas who change their minds about what is this year’s “new black,” marketing predictions about the health of email marketing fluctuate from “it’s almost dead” to “it’s still useful” to “it’s alive and well.” In truth, rather than disappearing, email marketing continues to be an invaluable tactic in your marketing toolkit – and its usage is growing. Consider this: The 2017 Inbox Report found that 89% of adults use email at least once a day. The Radicati Group reported in 2015 there were more than 4.35 billion email accounts, and projected an increase to 5.59 billion by 2019. And MarketingSherpa reports that 72% of consumers say email is their preferred communication channel with companies they do business with.Does your credit union realize the full benefit from email marketing? Numerous studies report its healthy ROI potential, including VentureBeat’s Insight study, which reported an ROI of $38 for every $1 email marketers spend. When SmartInsights asked companies to name the top 10 marketing tactics that achieved the highest return, email marketing topped the list at 67%, followed by online marketing at 38%. It makes sense; the cost of an email marketing campaign is relatively low, expenses don’t increase when adding recipients, and well-designed campaigns are highly effective. Now, it’s your turn to do email marketing right.Design Targeted, Personalized CampaignsMost credit unions use email for marketing, at least to some extent. However, if you’re just sending blasts touting the benefits of a particular offer, your efforts won’t be as effective as they might. An integrated approach that builds on previous behavior, responses to other campaigns, that is targeted to the member’s specific circumstances, or is triggered by a demonstrated interest, like a search for rates on car loans, will prove much more successful.At Doxim, our most successful clients have found targeted, personalized email marketing effective in many ways, including the 4 we will tell you more about right now.   Improving the Member ExperienceConnecting to members and strengthening relationships helps drive success. A study from CEB analysts found that highly satisfied customers buy twice as many products as those who have “average” relationships. Not only do satisfied members generate more revenue, but, as Bain & Company reports,  it costs seven times more to acquirea new client than it does to sell to an existing one. It pays to keep members happy and on the membership rolls. Enhance member experience by showing members your credit union is paying attention – to them and to their individual, unique needs.An email marketing platform can simplify sending newsletters with money-management tips, information about scams, or the benefits of new products and services. To build a truly authentic relationship with your members, use everything you know about them and craft personalized campaigns. Send trigger-based emails with birthday greetings or congratulations when a member pays off her car loan and may be ready to upgrade. Personalized messages, like this example from Keys Federal Credit Union, offer appeal on an emotional level.A BAI study (“Quest for Deposits: The Ninety-Day Window of Opportunity“) found that 75% of all cross-selling takes place in the first few months after the new customer acquisition. Consider the results of an email campaign used by InFirst FCU ($170 million in assets, Alexandria, VA.) for member onboarding. The credit union’s campaign included a series of seven emails to new members during their first 60 days with InFirst. The first email welcomed the member to the credit union and described services, locations, and rates. Follow-up emails outlined banking options, locations, ATM locator apps, types of loans available and other account information. The results are impressive:        18% of members added at least one new product or service        Deposit accounts grew by 24% and average balances increased by more than $400        The number of loan accounts grew by 190%.The emails were simple and to the point, but they were designed to build a progressively more engaging relationship with the members:center_img   Boost Sales and Streamline OperationsKeep your credit union on members’ minds by paying attention to their needs and interests. Emails triggered by transactions can help. If an auto loan is pre-approved, send an invitation to a car-buying seminar. If a member didn’t finish filling out a loan application, send an email reminder so he can click to go the place where he left off. Or, if he finished filling out the form but hasn’t provided all the necessary documents yet, send an email showing what’s still needed and include an easy link to upload missing information.last_img read more

Caf Champions League: Esperance ordered to return medals and face Wydad Casablanca again

first_img Source: BBC Esperance have been ordered to return the African Champions League trophy and to replay the second leg of the final.The Tunisian side led 1-0 in Saturday’s second leg but Moroccan opponents Wydad Casablanca left the pitch after an equaliser they scored was disallowed.Wydad wanted the video assistant referee to check if the goal should stand but the system was not working.The Confederation of African Football (Caf) said the second leg will be replayed at a neutral venue.The 1-1 draw from the first leg in Morocco stands.The replay will be after the Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, which ends on 19 July.A Caf statement said “conditions of game and safety were not met” in the second leg and made clear Esperance players must return their winners’ medals as well as the trophy.Play in the second leg was halted after Wydad thought they had equalised on 59 minutes through Walid El Karti’s header. It was disallowed for an infringement.The VAR system was visible on the side of the pitch but the players had not been told it was not in use because of a malfunction.The referee eventually awarded the victory to three-time champions Esperance after a 95-minute delay.Wydad’s president said the club was “the victim of a scandal” and Caf subsequently called an Executive Committee meeting where the decision to replay the game was made.last_img read more

Boxing news: Tagoe suffers malaria setback to push fight against Reyes to April 24

first_imgThe WBA International Lightweight Championship contest between Ghana’s Emmanuel ‘Game Boy’ Tagoe and Filipino Joebert Delos Reyes has been postponed to April 24.The postponement was made necessary due to a bout of Malaria suffered by Tagoe.The fight night which also features another cracking bout between George ‘Red Tiger’ Ashie and Ronald Pontillas was originally scheduled to be staged on March 27.The postponement will ensure that the lead boxer of the Baby Jet Promotions makes a full recovery and will be in top shape for the bout which will take place at the Lawn Tennis Court of the Accra Sports Stadium.Preparations and logistics are being put together to stage the fight – which will be beamed live to over 50 countries in Africa by SuperSport – on the new date.Baby Jet Promotions will be issuing a release of event timelines in the build up to the fight in due course.last_img read more

What are the odds the Lakers keep their first-round lottery pick?

first_imgOdds on where the Lakers end with the NBA’s fifth worst record: 1st pick (8.8%), 2nd pick (9.7%), 3rd pick (10.7%), 4th pick (0%), 5th pick (26.1%), 6th pick (36%), 7th pick (8.4%), 8th pick (.4%); odds on keeping top five pick (55.3%)Odds on where the Lakers end with the NBA’s sixth-worst record: 1st pick (6.3%), 2nd pick (7.1%), 3rd pick (8.1%), 4th pick (0%), 5th pick (0%), 6th pick (43.9%), 7th pick (30.5%), 8th pick (4%) 9th pick (.1%); odds on keepng top five pick (21.5%) The number-crunching during this Lakers’ 2014-15 season has rarely involved any results (usually a loss) or any individual performances. Instead, it has all centered on the odds surrounding the NBA Draft lottery on May 19. Then, the Lakers will find out if their likely worst season in franchise history will result in a top five pick. If the Lakers fall out of the top five, they will owe the pick to Philadephia as part of the Steve Nash trade with Phoenix. That will leave the Lakers with only one first round pick, likely landing late in the first round, as part of the Jeremy Lin trade with Houston. The Lakers (20-57 as of Thursday) have the NBA’s fourth-worst record. But they could finish as low as having the worst record, or as high as the sixth-worst record. Below is a breakdown on the likelihood Lakers keep their top five pick, depending on where they finish. Odds on where the Lakers end with the NBA’s worst record: 1st pick (25%), 2nd pick (21.5%), 3rd pick (17.8%), 4th pick (35.7%); Lakers are assured no worse than fourth overall pickOdds on where the Lakers end with the NBA’s second worst record: 1st pick (19.9%), 2nd pick (18.8%), 3rd pick (17.1%), 4th pick (31.9%), 5th pick (12.3%); Lakers are assured no worse than fifth overall pickOdds on where the Lakers end with the NBA’s third worst record: 1st pick (15.6%), 2nd pick (15.7%), 3rd pick (15.6%), 4th pick (22.6%), 5th pick (26.5%), 6th pick (4%); odds on keeping top five pick (96%)Odds on where the Lakers end with the NBA’s fourth worst record: 1st pick (11.9%), 2nd pick (12.6%), 3rd pick (13.3%), 4th pick (9.9%), 5th pick (35.1%), 6th pick (16%), 7tth pick (1.2%); odds on keeping top five pick (82.8%)center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Castro to host Iowa forum about changing nominating process

first_imgDES MOINES — Democratic candidate Julian Castro, a former San Antonio mayor, has been criticizing the role Iowa and New Hampshire play in the presidential nominating process. He’s planning a town hall forum next Tuesday in Des Moines to discuss the issue.“There’s no reason that Iowa and New Hampshire that hardly have any black people or people of color should always go first,” Castro said during a conference call with reporters yesterday.New Jersey Senator Cory Booker told Iowans yesterday that if he fails to get enough support in qualifying polls, there will be a billionaire on the stage for the televised debate later this month, but no black candidate since with California Senator Kamala Harris dropped out of the race this week. Castro hasn’t qualified for the debate either“My concern is not the presence of any one candidate on the debate stage only,” Castro said yesterday. “We need to change the whole game.”Castro is not a fan of the caucus process.“There’s no reason that a caucus system that makes it harder for working people and people with disabilities to participate should be what we begin with,” Castro said. “We need to work to reform how we elect a president in the first place.”Later today, Castro is among the candidates who will participate in a forum in Waterloo that’s sponsored by the U.S. Conference of Mayors. The Iowa Farmers Union is hosting a forum in Grinnell this afternoon where several candidates will speak.last_img read more