Pitterson-Nattie positive about Grenada’s World Cup chances

first_imgLONDON (CMC):GRENADA’S national coach Oberon Pitterson-Nattie has painted a bright future and believes that with continued development, the country can challenge for a spot at the Netball World Cup scheduled for England in 2019.”I don’t see any reason why we can’t do it. It’s a tall task, but it can be done and based on what we have (it is possible),” the former Jamaican player and national coach told the Grenada Sports website.”Right now, we have 17-year-olds touring with the team, so you can imagine we have 19-year-olds, 20-year-olds who are touring with the team, so it means that these are the girls in the next three or four years and they should be ready for World Championship,”she said.Pitterson-Nattie has been working with the Grenada netball programme over the last year and has been seeing signs of development at the national level.The national side is currently participating in the challenge section of the Netball Europe Open, which involves Gibraltar, Israel, Ireland, Malta, Switzerland and the United States. It ended yesterday in Newcastle.Pitterson-Nattie said Grenada’s netball would excel once the focus was placed on grassroots development.”What will be important is the work that is done at the schools, and that is where it starts,” she continued.”We have to create that developmental pathway so that you can see players improving as they go along. We have to look at the coaches who are working with the kids at schools.”Grenada is currently ranked 30th in the International Netball Federation rankings.last_img read more

Cheney backing Bilbray for seat

first_imgThe vice president said 250,000 Iraqi forces have been trained by U.S. troops. “As those forces gain strength and experience and as the political process advances, we will be able to decrease troop levels without decreasing our capacity,” Cheney said. “As always, decisions about troop levels will be driven by conditions on the ground and the judgments of our military commanders and not by artificial timelines set by politicians in Washington, D.C.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN DIEGO – Vice President Dick Cheney jetted into San Diego to boost the political fortunes and the campaign war chest of congressional hopeful Brian Bilbray, a Republican locked in a tight battle for what normally is a safe GOP seat. Cheney’s appearance Tuesday, at the end of a two-day fundraising tour through California, underscored the importance of the 50th Congressional District seat, left vacant by the scandal that sent former Republican Rep. Randy “Duke” Cunningham to prison. An upset victory by Francine Busby in the June 6 special election runoff for the seat would give Democrats a boost as they head into the fall election and look to wrest power in the closely divided House. “Right now, the eyes of the nation are on the 50th District of California,” Cheney said. “We will continue making progress for the American people and it’s vital we have strong partners in that effort like Brian Bilbray in Congress.” The $2,100-a-plate luncheon raised more than $200,000 for Bilbray’s campaign in a race that has already cost candidates and party committees more than $10 million. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsBusby, who has campaigned for energy-policy reform as gas prices have spiked, criticized Bilbray for appearing with Cheney. “While Cheney is here raising money, Bilbray should stand up for consumers and demand answers from the vice president,” Busby said before the event. Cheney was joined on the dais by San Diego-area Republicans including Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista; Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-El Cajon; and former Gov. Pete Wilson – all part of a Southern California GOP establishment that has endorsed Bilbray to replace Cunningham. Cunningham resigned in November amid a corruption and bribery scandal. He pleaded guilty to accepting more than $2.4 million in bribes from defense contractors and was sentenced in March to more than eight years in federal prison. About two dozen protesters, some waving rainbow-colored flags emblazoned with the word “Peace,” lined the road leading to the Sheraton hotel where Cheney spoke. Before heading to the Bilbray event, Cheney spoke from the deck of the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard to 3,000 Marines and sailors at Naval Station San Diego. last_img read more