Advertisement Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is out of contract in 2021 (Picture: Getty)Arsenal are willing to let Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang run down his contract at the club after Raul Sanllehi, the Gunners’ head of football, relaxed a policy over players entering the final 12 months of their deal.The 30-year-old has 13 months to run on his existing deal and he’s yet to sign an extension, though it’s unclear if Arsenal have officially tabled a new contract to the Gabon international.Nevertheless, the striker’s intimated he would not sign a new deal if they club fail to qualify for the Champions League for a fourth successive season and his situation has attracted interest from Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea and Manchester United.AdvertisementAdvertisementArsenal have an unfortunate recent history of letting players either leave for free or for cut-price fees due to the club’s failure to tie their best players down to long-term deals.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 2 Jun 2020 11:09 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link6.9kShares Comment Arsenal ready to take £20m gamble on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang after Raul Sanllehi policy U-turn Aubameyang had been valued at £50m before the pandemic hit (Picture: Getty)Sanllehi vowed to put an end to that following the departure of Alexis Sanchez to Manchester United but the Sun report that he’s now willing to relax that policy given the unprecedented circumstances created by the coronavirus pandemic.The financial effects of the virus have been grave and clubs are not expected to spend the amounts that have been seen in previous transfer windows.Though Arsenal’s intention has always been to keep Aubameyang, they would have listened to offers of around £50m for the forward if he intimated that he would not sign a new deal. More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThat’s now an unrealistic figure but Arsenal will not accept derisory fees with the Sun claiming they would rather allow Aubameyang to leave on a free in 2021 than accept bids of less than £20m for the forward. Aubameyang has bagged 61 goals in 97 appearances for the club and Arsenal doubt their chances of replacing him this summer, particularly for some of the paltry figures that have been suggested.MORE: Odion Ighalo fires warning to Man Utd rivals over Bruno Fernandes
Leicester City midfielders James Maddison and Nampalys Mendy have signed new contracts with the club.England international Maddison, 23, has agreed a four-year deal, while 28-year-old Frenchman Mendy has signed a two-year extension until summer 2022.Mendy was out of contract in June, but signed a short-term extension to cover the end of the delayed season.“The more I’ve seen of him, the more impressed I’ve been,” said manager Brendan Rodgers.“To have someone with his experience, quality and maturity is a big boost for us, especially with European football next season.”Leicester finished fifth in the Premier League last season – their second highest finish in history – to qualify for the Europa League.Maddison, who made his England debut in November and has played 76 games in all competitions for Leicester, said it was “an incredibly exciting time” to be a Foxes player.“With so many positive things happening on and off the pitch and I’m delighted to be part of that,” he added.“What we’ve achieved as a club this season is a huge step forward for us and I know there’s so much more to come from this team.” Source: BBC
MORE: NFL players testing mouth shields as COVID-19 precautionIn a tweet sent out Thursday afternoon, Texans star J.J. Watt revealed that the NFL Players Association doesn’t know how the league will handle COVID-19 testing, training camp procedures or the preseason schedule. Watt said he has been on four NFLPA calls in the past two weeks, and it seems players are understandably concerned about the lack of clarity.In the interest of having everyone on the same page in terms of what we know and don’t know at this time, here are a few things I’ve learned being on four NFLPA calls in the last two weeks with hundreds of other players.Keep in mind our rookies are scheduled to report in 48 hrs pic.twitter.com/wAH1XyQenf— JJ Watt (@JJWatt) July 16, 2020From Watt’s tweet:— We want to play— We want to be as safe as possible— We have not received a single valid IDER plan (Infections Disease Emergency Response) from any team or the league— We don’t know if there are preseason games or not— We don’t know if there will be daily testing, semi-daily testing, etc.— We don’t know how a potential positive COVID test would would affect contracts, roster spots, etc.— Nothing has been agreed upon regarding what training camp will actually look like and how the “ramp up” period will work— We want to playSome details of the NFL’s health and safety protocols have already leaked. For example, the NFL does intend to place players who have tested positive for COVID-19 on IR for three weeks, according to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, and those players will be paid. It has been more than four months since professional sports leagues suspended play over coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns in the United States. The timing worked out better for the NFL than any other league given its 2019 season ended in February.However, plenty of questions remain about the 2020 campaign, and NFL players are still searching for answers. But, as Watt noted, there are major issues that have not yet been addressed, and Chiefs and Texans rookies are supposed to report for training camp Saturday. It won’t be long before the veterans join them.The NFL has essentially made it known that players need to report to camp on time as contracted employees – and that’s been a fairly constant message. For now, it appears headed in that direction unless the NFLPA decides to take a harder stance.— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) July 16, 2020Players remain wary about how camp will look when it opens. One consideration being discussed: 7-week schedule that includes 3 weeks of 20 players at a time with cleanings in between… 2 weeks that will essentially look like OTAs… then two weeks of padded practices with hitting.— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) July 16, 2020NFL owners are scheduled to have a call Friday, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, so perhaps that conversation will cover the important points players such as Watt have brought up.It’s more likely that these problems will persist beyond this week, though. Expect additional discussions between the NFL and NFLPA in the near future — and much more consternation.
Wayne Rooney England captain Wayne Rooney insists he will never retire from international football.Rooney has another chance to rewrite the history books on Tuesday when Wembley hosts England’s latest Euro 2016 qualifier against Switzerland.The England skipper equalled Sir Bobby Charlton’s scoring record with his 49th goal against San Marino on Saturday and given that he has scored nine in his last 11 games for England, there is a good chance he will bring up his 50 against the Swiss.Eleven years after he opened his England scoring account with a strike against Macedonia, Rooney still has just as much enthusiasm about playing for his country.And for that reason, he does not have any plans when it comes to ending his England career – he will leave that to someone else.“I won’t be one to say I’m not available for selection,” the Manchester United forward said.“I’m sure it’ll probably be the manager’s choice more than mine. It’s a huge honour to play for England.”With England now qualified for Euro 2016, Rooney will feature for the Three Lions at his sixth major tournament next summer although there is no reason to believe he will carry on playing beyond the World Cup that follows in Russia two years later.He said: “I feel I’m capable of going to Russia. After that, it may be a realistic time to see how I feel and if I feel it’s not right for England or myself, I’ll have a decision to make.“Or the manager would have a decision to make. If I feel I can carry on, I’ll try. But if the manager says he doesn’t feel I’m in his plans for the next tournament, it’s probably better I don’t play in the qualifying games because I won’t be going to the tournament.”Rooney’s wife Coleen travelled to Serravalle to watch her husband play 58 minutes of the 6-0 win and the couple’s five-year-old son Kai was there too.The latter will not be there on Tuesday – and neither will Charlton – but the tape of the former Everton striker breaking the record will be watched again and again over the coming years in the Rooney household regardless of where it happens.“My eldest lad Kai is starting to get into football a lot and he is wanting to go to a lot of games. Unfortunately he can’t go (tonight) because of school,” Rooney said.“It would mean a lot to them, to my wife and my parents and for my children when they have grown up to see my achievements.”A point will be enough for England to win the group with two matches to spare.Michael Carrick pulled out of the squad on Monday with a calf problem.England manager Roy Hodgson said: ”We don’t believe it’s that serious. It’s quite strange. It came out of nowhere, almost.”It was at the start of a warm-up in San Marino. He felt something very, very small, very, very slight.”He had a preliminary type of scan with our doctors and they decided there’s something there.” 1