Jagdeo calls for charges to be laid

first_imgCorrupt DHB contractOpposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has lamented that almost four months after the investigation was completed into the award of a sole-sourced contract for a feasibility study into the construction of the new Demerara River Bridge, no charges have yet been instituted.Opposition Leader Bharrat JagdeoThe contract in question was awarded to Dutch company LievenseCSO for a feasibility study into the new bridge. A probe conducted by the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), upon request from the People’s Progressive Party/Civic(PPP/C), had flagged Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson for requesting from Cabinet that the $148 million contract be sole-sourced instead of being processed through the Procurement Board as the law says should be done.As a result of the findings, the Opposition last August asked the Guyana Police Force’s Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) to investigate the PPC’s findings.According to Jagdeo, that probe was completed since January this year and the file was handed over to the Police Legal Advisor for advice and to date, there is no update as to what is happening with the matter.“So, from January to now, on a project that is totally corrupt – where the probe was completed – we haven’t seen any single charge laid against the Minister. He should have been charged by now and before the courts for corruption. The same minister who welcomes the probe and doesn’t know there are probes taking place,” the Opposition Leader said at his recent media briefing.Public Infrastructure Minister David PattersonPointing out that Patterson has a lot to answer for regarding controversial projects under his Ministry, Jagdeo, a former President, outlined that the matter was not being pushed with the alacrity it requires but had it been a PPP Minister then the response would have been different.“Since January, the Police completed the probe … and every week, the media asks when you’re gonna charge some of the PPP people, but what about Patterson? They should be asking the Police “when do you intend to charge.” We are now almost approaching May and they finish the probe since January (but nothing has come out yet),” he stated.On March 29, Guyana Times contacted SOCU Head Sydney James for an update on the matter, but he hung up the phone.Recent efforts by this newspaper to contact him again as well as other senior officers of the Police Force on the probe into the sole-sourced contract were futile.Nevertheless, Minister Patterson last month had indicated to this publication that he understood that SOCU has concluded its investigations, but he was uncertain of the findings.However, the Public Infrastructure Minister noted that the project for the new bridge is expected to come up at the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board (NPTAB) soon.According to him, “That is supposed to be a public-private partnership. It’s being piloted at the moment, reviewed by the public-private unit under the Ministry of Finance with the help from the [Caribbean Development Bank] CDB and obviously that will go to tender shortly.”Based on a complaint filed by then Opposition Chief Whip, Gail Teixeira, the Procurement Commission completed its investigation into the award of the contract for a feasibility study on a new Demerara River bridge and handed its report over on August 7, 2018. The report noted that several companies had bid for the project to do the feasibility study and design for the new Demerara River bridge and 12 companies had been shortlisted.It further outlined that only two of the 12 companies had made proposals. As such, the bidding process was annulled. It added that on November 12, 2016, the Tender Administration Board approved the move for the project to be re-tendered. The project was not re-tendered; instead, Dutch company LievenseCSO was engaged by the Public Infrastructure Ministry to do the work.Page seven of the report noted that the bid from LievenseCSO was “unsolicited”, but Patterson took the company’s proposal to Cabinet for approval, and Cabinet granted its approval for the company to be engaged. The report, on page seven, stated that monies to be spent on the project were taken from the Demerara Harbour Bridge Corporation (Asphalt Plant Accounts).It was subsequently announced that SOCU would be investigating the matter. Patterson submitted a statement to the investigative unit in September 2018, although this was criticised as the Opposition said the same standard utilised for questioning its members should apply to Government.Around that time, Opposition politicians were being questioned at SOCU headquarters over other matters.last_img read more

New legislation for left lane driving on high-speed highways

first_imgIn addition, this legislation will allow the ministry to define winter tires as those with a mountain/snowflake symbol or the M+S (mud and snow) symbol by regulation – allowing for more easily updated definitions as tire technology changes.This includes updated requirements for studded tires and traction devices such as chains.Another change will permit local governments to permit motorcycle parking within six meters of intersections with stop signs or signals as long as drivers’ views are not impeded – allowing for more efficient use of space that is not large enough for a car.There is no word yet as to when these new rules come into effect.Advertisement The Rural Highway Safety and Speed Review found there was significant public concern with slow drivers travelling in the left lane on high-speed highways, leading to driver frustration and aggressive driving behaviours.“Drivers who won’t move over can impede traffic and contribute to crashes,” writes Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Todd Stone. “This new rule makes it clear who should travel in the left lane, and when, promoting safety on our highways.”The Motor Vehicle Amendment Act, 2015 clarifies that drivers are to travel in the right lane unless they are overtaking and passing another vehicle, moving left to allow traffic to merge, preparing for a left hand turn, or moving left to pass an official vehicle displaying a flashing light.- Advertisement -Drivers will be permitted to use the left-most lane if it is unsafe to use the right lane, such as if the right lane has not been ploughed or if there’s too much debris.During periods of traffic congestion when the actual travel speed drops to 50 km/h or less, drivers can use all lanes.When there is little traffic and no one is approaching from behind, a driver can also travel in the left-most lane. This was designed to allow drivers on four-lane highways in rural areas to keep a greater distance from the road sides where there may be wildlife.Advertisement Click here to read the entire Rural Highway Safety and Speed Review.last_img read more

Zidane place in pantheon of great coaches secure

first_imgLess than two and a half years after being promoted from his position as coach of Real’s second team to his first managerial role at the highest level, the Frenchman has become only the third coach in the history of the game to lift the European Cup three times.Leaving behind contemporaries Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola, Zidane has equalled former Liverpool manager Bob Paisley and Carlo Ancelotti, the man he used to serve as an assistant.“I need to congratulate the players as it is not at all easy what they are doing,” Zidane said after the game in the Ukrainian capital.“This is the business. There are no words for it. That is what this squad is all about. They have no limit to what they can do.”Zidane was reluctant to take too much of the credit after seeing his side secure their fourth Champions League title in five seasons, and the 13th in the club’s long love affair with the European Cup.The 45-year-old also won the trophy as a player for Real, his volley in the 2002 win over Bayer Leverkusen in Glasgow being considered one of the best ever to grace a final — although it was possibly surpassed by Gareth Bale’s overhead kick on Saturday.It is 20 years since the Marseille-born son of Algerian immigrants scored twice as France beat Brazil 3-0 in the 1998 World Cup final.Two years later his midfield artistry inspired France to victory at the European Championship, and on the eve of Saturday’s game Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp called him “one of the best five players of all time.”– ‘No secret’ –Zidane celebrates with with wife Veronique and son Theo after winning Saturday’s final © AFP / FRANCK FIFEYet as a coach, he has now won nine trophies since replacing Rafael Benitez in the Santiago Bernabeu dugout in January 2016.It is a remarkable record, all the more so for a man who has not yet convinced everyone that he is a tactical genius.“What I am doing is just a continuation — I have just started as a coach, what I am experiencing with my players is impressive,” he said.“There is no secret. It is just a lot of work. We have players who are very good, but behind that there is lots of hard work. They have the desire, the hunger to win.”Having such a talented squad certainly helps. Zidane has also had a fair amount of luck on his side, with Liverpool’s night being marred by the first-half injury to Mohamed Salah that forced off their best player.Two goalkeeping errors by Loris Karius helped too, just as a howler by Bayern Munich’s Sven Ulreich had been vital in the semi-finals.Nevertheless, guiding Real to the longest period of sustained success in Europe’s elite club competition since the 1970s means, statistically at least, his place in the pantheon of great coaches is secure.The question is, where does he go from here?Zidane recently insisted that winning La Liga is harder than anything else, but his Real side finished well behind Barcelona in third place in the season just finished.As long as he has the motivation to carry on in his current role — possibly outlasting the ageing Cristiano Ronaldo and building a new team — he will try to wrestle back the domestic title from Barcelona.“We are not going to settle now for anything. You know that at the start of the season we always want to win everything.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Zinedine Zidane with the Champions League trophy after Real Madrid’s win against Liverpool in Saturday’s final in Kiev © AFP / GENYA SAVILOVKIEV, Ukraine, May 27 – He was one of the all-time greats as a player, and Zinedine Zidane now merits consideration as one of the game’s great managers after making history with Real Madrid in Saturday’s Champions League final.His team’s 3-1 win over Liverpool on a dramatic evening in Kiev allowed Zidane to become the first coach ever to win the Champions League in three consecutive seasons, with Real becoming the first team to achieve that feat in more than 40 years.last_img read more

Rain expected to return to region by end of week

first_img Since about 6:30 p.m. Monday, outages have affected 14,500 DWP customers in various areas, including downtown Los Angeles, Cheviot Hills and Canoga Park. Highs today will be mostly in the 60s. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant Another system was expected to move in on Thursday or Friday, bringing about a half inch of rain, she said. The California Highway Patrol reported 210 accidents on Los Angeles County freeways and unincorporated surface streets, mostly rain-related fender benders, between midnight and 7 a.m. Tuesday, compared with 35 for the same period last week. “It was a very busy morning, with a lot of solo traffic collisions, especially on on- and off-ramps and freeway transition roads,” CHP patrol Officer Francisco Villalobos said. “Fortunately, there were no fatalities and no major-injury collisions.” The heaviest rain fell in the Angeles National Forest, where some areas reported more than five inches. About 7,100 Los Angeles Department of Water and Power customers were without electricity Tuesday. As of 9 a.m., about 2,100 customers in the Silver Lake area, 1,200 downtown and 1,200 in El Sereno were without power, said Gale Harris of the DWP. The Southland was expected to get a brief break from the wet weather today as a warm Pacific storm moves out of the region, but weather forecasters say rain will return by the end of the week. Despite strong downpours Monday, Los Angeles is still drier than normal for the season. “We’re 3.5 inches below normal in downtown Los Angeles,” said Jaime Smith, meteorologist for the National Weather Service, based in Oxnard. The normal total for a rainy season in Los Angeles, measured from July 1 to June 30, is about 10.8 inches, she said. last_img read more