News media and websites censored and blocked for carrying leaked cables

first_img Organisation December 15, 2010 – Updated on January 25, 2016 News media and websites censored and blocked for carrying leaked cables Reporters Without Borders condemns the measures being taken by governments and government agencies to censor websites or news media that have published details of the US diplomatic cables leaked by WikiLeaks.“Knee-jerk censorship is an inappropriate and dangerous response,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Attempts to block the dissemination of sensitive material that is already widely available on the Internet are doomed to failure and violate the right to be informed.”According to the Wall Street Journal, the US Air Force has taken drastic measures to prevent employees lacking special authorization from seeing the leaked cables, blocking access to the websites of the New York Times and at least 25 medias and blogs that have been publishing them, including The Guardian, Le Monde, Der Spiegel and El Pais.The Wall Street Journal obtained a copy of the web page to which US Air Force staff are sent when they try to connect from their office computers. A message on the page says: “ACCESS DENIED. Internet Usage is Logged & Monitored.”A US Air Force spokesperson, Lt. Col. Brenda Campbell, told the New York Times: “News media websites will be blocked if they post classified documents from the WikiLeaks website. This is similar to how we’d block any other website that posted classified information.” She added that only sites posting entire cables are being blocked, not those that are just publishing extracts. A Department of Defence spokesman said the Pentagon was not behind this initiative, adding that neither the Army, Navy nor Marines had adopted similar website blocking measures. The White House issued a directive on 3 December forbidding unauthorized federal employees from accessing classified documents available on WikiLeaks. The Library of Congress responded a few hours later by blocking access to WikiLeaks from its computers. “Each federal employee and contractor is obligated to protect classified information,” the directive from the White House Office of Management and Budget said, stressing that the fact that documents had been leaked did not mean they had been declassified.The same day, the US Army posted the following message on NIPRNet, the Internet network used by its troops in Iraq: “Department of Defence military, civilian and contractor personnel should not access the WikiLeaks website to view or download the publicized classified information.” Newspapers containing coverage of the WikiLeaks cables are also being censored. Morocco blocked distributing of the 12 December issue of the French daily Le Monde as well as issues of the Spanish daily El País and the pan-Arab daily Al-Quds Al-Arabi earlier in the month. All of these newspapers referred to a December 2009 cable from the US consulate in Casablanca about alleged corruption by associates of King Mohammed, especially in connection with real estate deals.Agence France-Presse quoted a Moroccan communication ministry official yesterday as saying that these issues “were forbidden entry for publishing libellous information about Morocco from the WikiLeaks website.” The ban was issued on the basis of “an article in the press code stating that the communication ministry has the right to ban any publication whose stories attack religion, territorial integrity and the monarchy,” the official added.Countries where access to WikiLeaks is blocked include China and Thailand. The site can be accessed from Pakistan not the pages containing the cables about Pakistan. RSF_en center_img Help by sharing this information Newslast_img read more

Read more

Council seeks loans

first_img By Jaine Treadwell The Penny Hoarder Issues “Urgent” Alert: 6 Companies… Plans underway for historic Pike County celebration Latest Stories Council seeks loans Thomas said that would leave about $24,000 a year cash and the cash would grow to $120,000 in five years,“That is with no major problems,” he said.The total cost of the project is estimated at $330,694.50. However, the council voted to apply for a $350,000 loan to have funds available if the cost runs higher. Troy falls to No. 13 Clemson Print Article Pike County Sheriff’s Office offering community child ID kits Book Nook to reopen The Brundidge City Council voted Tuesday to solicit two local banks for bids for a five-year $350,000 loan for the purpose of resurfacing streets in several sections of the city.City Manager Britt Thomas told the council that, while interest rates are low, it is a good time to do the much needed resurfacing of street across the city. The money can be paid back in five years.“We are assuming an interest rate of 3 percent and that the loan would be tax exempt,” Thomas said. “The annual payment would be about $75,500 and the annual budget would be $99,500.”center_img Remember America’s heroes on Memorial Day The streets that will resurfaced and the cost of each are Henderson Street, $26,031; Pine Street, $10,145; Nassau, $24,249; Airport Road, $104,241 that also includes the paving of the parking lot for city utilities, John Street, $11,329; Johnson Street, $37,542; Ann Street, $12,070; Gilmore Street, $18,259; Bowden Street, $36,609; Barr Circle, $23,663; and Hall Street, $26,554.Max Mobley of Polyengineering in Dothan addressed the council and residents of the Johnson Street area about the continuing issues caused by the inability of rainwater to flow along Mims Creek. The creek borders the properties along Johnson and Darby streets.Mobley said the creek comes under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers and the Corps doesn’t allow for the channelization of streams.“If it were a drainage ditch, we could probably get a grant to correct the problem,” Mobley said. “But the banks of creek cannot be disturbed.” You Might Like Pet photo contest deadline extended to August 10 Nigel, a rescue pup, is Mr. July in the Humane Society of Pike County’s 2016 Pet Photo Calendar. Nigel is… read more Sponsored Content Around the WebIf You Have Ringing Ears Do This Immediately (Ends Tinnitus)Healthier LivingMd: Do This Immediately if You Have Diabetes (Watch)Blood Sugar BlasterHave an Enlarged Prostate? Urologist Reveals: Do This Immediately (Watch)Healthier LivingWomen Only: Stretch This Muscle to Stop Bladder Leakage (Watch)Healthier LivingRemoving Moles & Skin Tags Has Never Been This EasyEssential HealthTop 4 Methods to Get Fortnite SkinsTCGThe content you see here is paid for by the advertiser or content provider whose link you click on, and is recommended to you by Revcontent. As the leading platform for native advertising and content recommendation, Revcontent uses interest based targeting to select content that we think will be of particular interest to you. We encourage you to view your opt out options in Revcontent’s Privacy PolicyWant your content to appear on sites like this?Increase Your Engagement Now!Want to report this publisher’s content as misinformation?Submit a ReportGot it, thanks!Remove Content Link?Please choose a reason below:Fake NewsMisleadingNot InterestedOffensiveRepetitiveSubmitCancel By The Penny Hoarder Email the author Published 3:00 am Wednesday, August 3, 2016 Johnny Ross, who lives on Darby Street, said there are no banks. The banks that did exist have been filled in by the sand and debris that is clogging the flow of rainwater to the culvert on Highway 231.Mobley said the city is dealing with ADEM regulations that might seem silly but they are real. He said to alleviate the situation would be costly and could take years. He also said there would be no grant funding available.Mobley suggested that the first step to any solution would be to survey the situation to determine any options that might be available.The council voted to begin the process to a solution.The council voted to employ the administrative services of South Central Alabama Development Commission for the city’s Community Development Block Grant for the Magnolia Vegetable Processors project.Council members Betty Baxter, Arthur Griffin and Margaret Ross were unopposed in the city’s general election and were certified as council members for the 2017-2021 term.last_img read more

Read more