Ryan Adams, assistant professor of computer science at the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), has won a Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA) Young Faculty Award.Adams will receive $300,000 to support his project titled “Developing New Methods of Multi-Core Statistic Inference Towards Rapid Data Fusion and Information Extraction.”The grant will be focused on pursuing research towards large-scale inference using Markov chain Monte Carlo methods. Many of the most powerful modern techniques for data analysis and machine learning rely on probabilistic models, and the manipulation of these models often presents a significant computational challenge.Adams’ group is looking for new ways to make these kinds of algorithms work on modern computational architecture, which favors multiple weakly coupled processors rather than a single fast CPU.“This is an exciting research direction, as significant progress in these techniques impacts not only computer science, but also many other fields such as physics, statistics, and biology,” says Adams. “We hope to couple innovative new mathematical foundations with engineering efforts to build practical and widely useful systems.”Adams joined Harvard in July 2011; he runs the Harvard Intelligent Probabilistic Systems group, which is dedicated to building intelligent algorithms.Previously, he was a CIFAR Junior Research Fellow at the University of Toronto. He earned his Ph.D. in physics from the University of Cambridge and B.S. in electrical engineering and computer science from MIT.His research focuses on machine learning and computational statistics, but he is broadly interested in questions related to artificial intelligence, computational neuroscience, machine vision, and Bayesian nonparametrics. Read Full Story
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A teenaged driver has been accused of luring his friend into a street race moments before the second vehicle crashed, killing all five teens inside in Farmingdale last year, authorities said Thursday.A grand jury indicted 18-year-old Cory Gloe of Farmingdale on charges of second-degree manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, leaving the scene of an incident without reporting, reckless driving, reckless endangerment and assault. He pleaded not guilty.“Unfortunately nothing will alleviate the pain or bring back the lives lost in this senseless crash,” Acting Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas said. “We owe it to our kids and everyone on our roads to remember that speed and racing kill.”Prosecutors said Gloe stopped his Toyota Scion at the corner of Conklin Street and Route 110 when he allegedly challenged 17-year-old Tristan Reichle, who was driving a 2001 Nissan Sentra, shortly after midnight on May 10, 2014. Both drivers had four passengers in their vehicles at the time.When the light turned green, both vehicles raced westbound on Route 24 when Reichle lost control, crossed into the opposite lane of traffic and crashed into a GMC Terrain, authorities said.Reichle and his passengers—18-year-old Jesse Romero, 14-year-old Carly Lonnborg, 15-year-old Noah Francis and 17-year-old Cody Talanian, all of Farmingdale—were killed in the crash. Two adults in the GMC suffered serious injuries from which they are still recovering.The tragedy prompted New York State officials to enhance traffic safety measures in the area. Nassau County police have also stepped up patrols on those roadways. Singas pledged to crack down on street racing.Judge Terence Murphy set bail for Gloe at $50,000 cash or bond and suspended his license. Gloe is due back in court on Feb. 11. He faces up to 15 years in prison, if convicted.“My client did not cause this accident in any way,” his attorney, Stephen LaMagna, told reporters.
Sierra Central Credit Union in Yuba City, Calif., has three branch offices right in the heart of the “apocalyptic” wildfires, says John Cassidy, president/CEO of the $967 million asset institution.“These are some of the hottest fires ever recorded because of the type of timber and brush firefighters have to deal with,” he says.The devastation has affected both Sierra Central’s members and employees, but the credit union’s employees never wavered during the crisis. They continued serving members even when the crisis reached its pinnacle.Under Cassidy’s leadership, Sierra Central has provided relief to firefighters, first responders, and other care givers, offering generous financial support, food, water—even popsicles. continue reading » 1SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Reaching a compromise. Kailyn Lowry said that she no longer intends to butt heads with the fathers of her four children — Javi Marroquin, Chris Lopez and Jo Rivera.On a recent episode of her “Baby Mamas No Drama” podcast, the Teen Mom 2 star spoke with her cohost, Vee Rivera, about agreeing to allow her children to be with their dads on Christmas Day.- Advertisement – Late last month, Us Weekly confirmed that Lowry was arrested in September for allegedly assaulting Lopez while exchanging custody at his house. The MTV personality was accused of punching her former beau during a dispute regarding their 3-year-old son.According to court docs obtained by Us, Lopez alleged that Lowry “started attacking him [and] punching him several times on the head and upper torso because she did not want the child’s hair cut.” He additionally claimed that he “did not fight back,” and his sister said that she allegedly “attempted to pull Kailyn off” of him.Lowry later spoke out about the allegations through her attorneys. “Ms. Lowry has filed a petition for custody in the matter involving her children Lux and Creed,” her rep said in a statement to Us on October 29. “The judge in the Delaware Family Court has ordered the parties to refrain from discussing all domestic matters until after the hearing next year.”- Advertisement – “In our agreement that I have with Javi and Jo, it says that this year, Christmas Eve, I think, is mine until Christmas Day at 12. But I don’t personally care about Christmas, so we don’t have to listen to the agreement,” the 28-year-old explained on the Tuesday, November 3, episode. “I told both of them they can have Christmas, like, that’s all theirs. I don’t care. But in the event that we got into a fight and I changed my mind, we would just fall back to the custody agreement because that is supposed to help.”Kailyn Lowry with Isaac, Lux, Lincoln and newborn Creed Courtesy Kailyn Lowry/InstagramThe reality star continued, “I’m not gonna fight. I’m not fighting with nobody. You know what? [In] 2021, Vee, I’m not even f–king playing. I am done paying for attorneys. I have six attorneys. When I told you I’m done paying f–king all of them, unless it’s related to my f–king businesses, I am done. I’m done! We [are] working this s–t out.”Lowry shares son Isaac, 10, with ex-boyfriend Rivera, 28, son Lincoln, 6, with ex-husband Marroquin, 27, and son Lux, 3, with ex-boyfriend Lopez, 26. In July, she welcomed her fourth son, 3-month-old Creed, with Lopez.- Advertisement – The statement continued, “Currently, Ms. Lowry has been awarded sole custody of the children despite the allegations pending in Family Court. Ms. Lowry does deny all of the allegations but cannot respond specifically at this time due to the orders of the judge.”Listen to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories! – Advertisement –
Advertisement Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is out of contract in 2021 (Picture: Getty)Arsenal are willing to let Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang run down his contract at the club after Raul Sanllehi, the Gunners’ head of football, relaxed a policy over players entering the final 12 months of their deal.The 30-year-old has 13 months to run on his existing deal and he’s yet to sign an extension, though it’s unclear if Arsenal have officially tabled a new contract to the Gabon international.Nevertheless, the striker’s intimated he would not sign a new deal if they club fail to qualify for the Champions League for a fourth successive season and his situation has attracted interest from Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Chelsea and Manchester United.AdvertisementAdvertisementArsenal have an unfortunate recent history of letting players either leave for free or for cut-price fees due to the club’s failure to tie their best players down to long-term deals.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 2 Jun 2020 11:09 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link6.9kShares Comment Arsenal ready to take £20m gamble on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang after Raul Sanllehi policy U-turn Aubameyang had been valued at £50m before the pandemic hit (Picture: Getty)Sanllehi vowed to put an end to that following the departure of Alexis Sanchez to Manchester United but the Sun report that he’s now willing to relax that policy given the unprecedented circumstances created by the coronavirus pandemic.The financial effects of the virus have been grave and clubs are not expected to spend the amounts that have been seen in previous transfer windows.Though Arsenal’s intention has always been to keep Aubameyang, they would have listened to offers of around £50m for the forward if he intimated that he would not sign a new deal. More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThat’s now an unrealistic figure but Arsenal will not accept derisory fees with the Sun claiming they would rather allow Aubameyang to leave on a free in 2021 than accept bids of less than £20m for the forward. Aubameyang has bagged 61 goals in 97 appearances for the club and Arsenal doubt their chances of replacing him this summer, particularly for some of the paltry figures that have been suggested.MORE: Odion Ighalo fires warning to Man Utd rivals over Bruno Fernandes
Barbara and John Doherty were drawn to Creekwood by its strong sense of community pride.A STRONG sense of community pride has drawn Barbara and John Doherty to a new coastal development at Caloundra.While home design and location were important factors, the Creekwood development in Meridan Plains, Caloundra stood out with many clubs and activities to help new residents socialise and stay connected.“There’s a gardening club, fitness club, mum’s group and I have even established a walking club to take advantage of the beautiful parklands, wetlands and nature corridors we have at our doorstep,” Mrs Doherty said.“The majority of people here make an effort to get to know other residents and look out for one another, so I can say that we live among friends, not just neighbours.”More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home4 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor4 hours agoDeveloper AVJennings has completed construction on the final freehold homes at Creekwood, which have been designed to suit different lifestyles and personalities — with 11 floorplans on offer to cater to everyone from entertainers and home workers through to independent families.The new Creekwood Parkside precinct has 26 homes, which are now ready to move in to. The new Creekwood Parkside precinct boasts 26 homes, which are now ready to move in to, with two fully furnished display open daily for inspection.AVJennings Queensland general manager Tony Creighton said Creekwood Parkside appealed to buyers looking for a leafy locale and the opportunity to buy a brand new property on its own title, with the wide variety of floorplans available an added bonus.He said the three and four-bedroom homes, some with a multipurpose room and all with a minimum of two-bathrooms and one to two car spaces, offered up to 210sq m of living space were priced from $444,900.On completion Creekwood will feature 370 townhomes, terrace and loft homes and 470 home sites across 50ha including more than 11ha of parks and open spaces, all within a three minute walk of each home.
Share 35 Views no discussions HealthLifestyle Catherine Zeta Jones treated for bipolar disorder by: – April 14, 2011 Tweet Share Catherine Zeta Jones has received treatment for bipolar disorder after dealing with the stress of her husband’s battle with throat cancer.Zeta Jones, 41, made a decision to check into a “mental health facility” for a brief stay, said her publicist.Michael Douglas, who was diagnosed last year, said in January his tumour had gone and he was beating the disease.Last September, Zeta Jones said she was “furious” that doctors failed to detect the cancer earlier.Bipolar, also known as manic depression, causes severe mood swings, that usually last several weeks or months.Zeta Jones’s publicist Cece Yorke said the actress sought treatment for the condition following the stress of her husband’s cancer fight.“After dealing with the stress of the past year, Catherine made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her Bipolar II disorder,” said Yorke.“She’s feeling great and looking forward to starting work this week on her two upcoming films.”It is unclear when Zeta Jones, who is from Swansea, was diagnosed with bipolar disorder or where she received treatment.Mark Davies, from mental health charity Rethink, said the actress had shown courage in revealing the disorder as there was still a stigma around mental illness.“Although she’ll be feeling pretty fragile and vulnerable, she will have – in a sense – given some comfort to a lot of other people who are probably suffering in silence and probably feeling a great deal of fear,” he added.Mr Davies said the disorder could be triggered by a range of factors and that no individual case was the same.He said the star was likely to be given medication and talking therapy, recognised as increasingly effective in cases of serious mental illness.About 1% of the population suffers from bipolar disorder.Alun Thomas of the Welsh mental health charity Hafal said: “The important part of this news is Catherine has sought help.“Many parts of the press can sensationalise this but I think it’s important to discuss the issues sensitively and raise awareness.“Many creative and famous people have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder… there are many people out there who have recovered and gone to be very productive in their lives.”Shortly after her husband was diagnosed with cancer, the actress revealed she was “furious” that doctors failed to detect the disease earlier.In an interview with People magazine last September, she said: “He sought every option and nothing was found. I knew something was up. He knew something was up.”“It makes me furious they didn’t detect it earlier,” she added.The star, who won a best supporting actress Oscar for her role in Chicago, was made a CBE by the Prince of Wales at Buckingham Palace in February.She first found fame in the UK on the small screen in the 1991 comedy drama, the Darling Buds of May, before heading to Hollywood to star in Entrapment, Traffic and The Mask of Zorro. Sharing is caring! Share
THE United States enjoyed a much-needed win over Trinidad and Tobago, thanks to Christian Pulisic, who helped boost the ‘Red, White and Blue’ men’s chance of Qualifying for Russia.The Borussia Dortmund teenager continued to star at international level with a second-half double at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on Thursday.Pulisic tapped in the opener before a side-footed finish saw USA to their win in Colorado.The vital victory lifted USA into third in the table in the fifth round of CONCACAF qualifying, while Trinidad and Tobago remain bottom.Bruce Arena made just one change to the starting XI which drew with Venezuela, with Jozy Altidore replacing Bobby Wood up front.The visitors, captained by former Sunderland and Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones, were in action for the first time since April.USA made the brighter start and went close in the 15th minute through Clint Dempsey, who is a goal behind the nation’s all-time leading goalscorer Landon Donovan, as he curled a 25-yard effort just over.The hosts were well on top throughout the opening exchanges and threatened again in the 25th minute.Jorge Villafana found Altidore with a cross from the left, but the forward’s side-footed effort from the edge of the area was straight at goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams.Jones went close to opening the scoring just after the half-hour mark, timing his run to perfection but seeing his header crash off the crossbar.Altidore looked lively for USA and he had two good chances, his first header saved by Williams before his second went over the bar.Both teams were dangerous in what was an open and flowing encounter, and USA finally struck in the 52nd minute.Pulisic got on the end of a DeAndre Yedlin cross to tap in the opener – his sixth international goal.Nathan Lewis thought he had produced an immediate response for the visitors but his goal was correctly ruled out for offside, before Pulisic struck the post from an angle.Pulisic deservedly doubled USA’s lead in the 62nd minute thanks to a fine pass from Altidore.Altidore clipped a pass in behind for the 18-year-old, who beat Williams at his near post, to make it 2-0.Wood, who replaced Altidore late in the second half, then struck the post as USA saw out their win, ahead of another massive clash against Mexico tomorrow.
Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 19, 2014 at 1:36 pm C.J. Fair, Baye Moussa Keita and Jim Boeheim address the media Wednesday afternoon. The No. 3-seed Orange will take on No. 14-seed Western Michigan on Thursday at approximately 2:45 p.m.
WATCH US LIVE Written By First Published: 3rd September, 2020 11:40 IST Last Updated: 3rd September, 2020 11:40 IST Ryu Solid Again, As Gurriel Homers To Lead Blue Jays Past Marlins 2-1 Lourdes Gurriel homered and Hyun Jin Ryu pitched six solid innings to lead the Toronto Blue Jays to a 2-1 win over the Miami Marlins on Wednesday night. Associated Press Television News SUBSCRIBE TO US COMMENT FOLLOW US LIVE TV Lourdes Gurriel homered and Hyun Jin Ryu pitched six solid innings to lead the Toronto Blue Jays to a 2-1 win over the Miami Marlins on Wednesday night.After Miami’s Sixto Sanchez got through the first four innings on 43 pitches, Gurriel snapped the rookie right-hander’s 11-inning scoreless string with a two-run shot for a 2-0 lead in the fifth. Gurriel drove Sanchez’s 0-1 slider over the left-center wall for his fifth homer.Ryu (3-1) allowed one run and six hits, walked two and matched a season high with eight strikeouts.A.J. Cole and Rafael Dolis each pitched scoreless innings and Anthony Bass got his fourth save for the Blue Jays, who are 12-12 in one-run games.