Michigan Legend Is Not Happy With How Program Approaches Ohio State Game

first_imgCharles Woodson gives commencement speech at Michigan.It has been six seasons since Michigan defeated Ohio State. Before that 2011 Wolverines win, the Buckeyes captured seven straight in The Game. Michigan vs. Ohio State is a historic rivalry, but it is ridiculously one-sided right now. That’s not okay with Charles Woodson.The former Michigan superstar has been very active around his alma mater as of late. Late last month, he served as the school’s commencement speaker. His speech went viral around the college football world for one specific declaration.The rivalry came up in his address to his newest fellow alumni. In his speech, he guaranteed a win over the Buckeyes in 2018.“But I’m telling you here today, 212 days from now, your Michigan Wolverines team will go down to Columbus, march into that stadium and we will beat you know who to bring back that familiar feeling of victory back to The University of Michigan again.”Charles Woodson had more to say about Michigan vs. Ohio State today.Woodson attended the ChadTough Gala, an event held in memory of Chad Carr. It benefits research towards fighting pediatric brain tumors.During the event, he said that he thinks the program has lost focus on the Ohio State rivalry. From The Detroit News:“To be quite honest I really feel like over the years, in recent years, there hasn’t been the emphasis that I’m used to being put on that game,” Woodson said.“Every game has been out on the same level of that game and that’s not the way we were brought up, that’s not the way we were raised around here. And we had no shame in saying it.”Woodson played at Michigan from 1995-1997. The Wolverines swept the Buckeyes in those three seasons, the last time the team claimed three games in a row against its archrival.He won the 1997 Heisman Trophy, and went on to become the No. 4 overall pick in the NFL Draft. He retired after the 2015 season, and is a very likely Hall of Famer.[The Detroit News]last_img read more

Reacting to latest Middle East violence Annan urges protection of civilians

“The Secretary-General is gravely concerned about the escalation of Israeli Defence Forces military operations in the past days, especially in Nablus and Gaza, which have resulted in a number of Palestinian deaths,” a spokesman for Mr. Annan said in a statement late Friday, noting that civilians are reportedly among the casualties. Through his spokesman, the Secretary-General also expressed concern about a “marked increase in rocket attacks by Palestinian militants against Israeli targets.”The Secretary-General renewed his call to the parties to the conflict to abide by their obligations under international law, “and in particular to ensure the protection of the civilian population, both Palestinian and Israeli,” the spokesman said. read more