Giroud ‘pumped up’ for Chelsea returnby Freddie Taylor10 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveOlivier Giroud says he will return to Chelsea “pumped up” after starring for France this week. The 33-year-old striker scored in both of France’s matches against Iceland and Turkey.With a fight on his hands for playing time at Stamford Bridge, Giroud is determined to continue his stellar international form.He said: “[Lampard] will almost certainly watch the matches. In any case, I am going back to Chelsea pumped up.”For different reasons, I have played little since the last national team break. Of course it feels good to make the difference.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd crock Pogba struggling for visit of Liverpoolby Paul Vegas9 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United midfielder Paul Pogba remains a doubt for the visit of Liverpool on Sunday.The Manchester Evening News says Pogba has still not returned to the club’s Carrington training complex, having spent over a week in Dubai during the international break for some warm weather training.Pogba, 26, has missed four of United’s last six games with an ankle injury and flew to Dubai with a protective boot on, and United sources are pessimistic about the possibility of him recovering for the Liverpool game on Sunday.United are hopeful Anthony Martial will be fit to start for the first time since he suffered a thigh injury in the 2-1 defeat to Crystal Palace on August 24.
MONTREAL — A court has awarded a Quebec woman who was violently attacked by her longtime partner $315,000 in damages in a decision her lawyer hopes will provide victims of domestic violence another avenue to obtain justice.The woman, whose identity is not revealed in the court documents, testified that the attack took place while she was confined for three days in September 2012.Court documents says she was beaten and bruised by Craig O’Brien, with whom she had been in a common law relationship for seven years — a union that became increasingly toxic over time.O’Brien testified that he was extremely intoxicated and could not remember the extent of the injuries he inflicted, which included a broken finger, multiple contusions and lacerations. He also prevented her from eating, and she testified that she was certain she was going to die.She managed to escape when O’Brien went on the balcony to smoke, and she called police in the Montreal suburb of Laval.He pleaded guilty to charges including unlawful confinement, assault and aggravated assault. He was sentenced by a Quebec court judge to eight months in jail, serving just a few months.In 2015, the woman decided to sue for damages in Quebec Superior Court.“She was outraged that after everything that had been done to her, this fellow would only spend three months in jail,” said lawyer Daniel Romano. “She wanted justice. She wanted to be compensated for what she’d actually lost, and she wanted to serve as an example to other women.”In a decision dated Nov. 20, Justice Pierre Journet agreed she was entitled to compensation.While she’s now gone through counselling and has began rebuilding her life, the court ruling described the lasting psychological impact of the hold he had on her.The judge noted in his ruling O’Brien did not express remorse and instead argued his partner could have left if she had been fearful.“All of the violent assaults during these days left her with post-traumatic stress that still affects her,” Journet wrote.“He controlled her, satisfied his war-like instincts on her, threatened her with reprisals during their life together and wounded her in a savage and unforgivable assault.”Louise Riendeau, who heads an organization that represents shelters for abused women, said cases awarding damages are rare — she’s only heard of a handful in recent years.Not all women will have the resources to go to court, she said, but the ruling sends a strong message.“It’s a way for them to have recognized the hardship they went through,” she said. “It’s a way for women to retake power in those instances, to have the sentiment that they were victimized.”The damages include $113,000 plus interest to compensate for lost salary, dental benefits, pension contributions and to reimburse credit card debt from a card she’d let him use.O’Brien is ordered to pay an additional $125,000 in damages and $75,000 in punitive damages — $25,000 for each day she was unlawfully confined.“In this case, we wanted to set a very, very clear precedent,” Romano said. “We’ve accomplished that, it’s a very positive step forward.”Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press
CALGARY – Jim Shaw, the former chief executive of Shaw Communications Inc., died Wednesday following a brief illness.The Canadian telecommunications company says in a statement that the vice-chairman passed away peacefully at the age of 60.He joined Shaw in 1982, working as a construction worker and cable installer, and later served as the company’s second CEO from 1998 to 2010.Current CEO Brad Shaw says in a statement that he not only lost a brother, but a great friend and mentor.The company’s board of directors and employees expressed their condolences to the Shaw family.
Residents are not being allowed into the area. The RCMP won’t say what’s happening but there is a large police presence on the road.BC Ambulance is also on scene.We will share more information as details are released. If you have any information, email firstname.lastname@example.org UPDATE as of 5:10 p.m. – The Red Creek road is now open to traffic as the police incident has ended. There is still a small police presence at one property on the road. The RCMP still haven’t released any information about what happened at the home.—–FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The RCMP are blocking the entrance to the Red Creek Road near Mile 62 of the Alaska Highway.
New Delhi: The government has kept the interest rates on small savings schemes, including NSC and PPF, unchanged for the April-June quarter. Public Provident Fund (PPF) and National Savings Certificate (NSC) will continue to carry an annual interest rate of 8 per cent, while Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) will give a yield of 7.7 per cent and mature in 112 months.Interest rates for small savings schemes are notified on a quarterly basis. “The rates of interest on various small savings schemes for the first quarter of the financial year 2019-20 starting April 1, 2019, and ending on June 30, 2019, shall remain unchanged from those notified for the fourth quarter of financial year 2018-19,” the finance ministry said in a notification issued Friday. Interest rate for the five-year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme has been retained at 8.7 per cent. The interest on the senior citizens’ scheme is paid quarterly. Interest on savings deposits has been retained at 4 per cent annually.
NEW DELHI: PC Chako, All India Congress Committee in-charge of Delhi, on Thursday said his party will have a direct fight with the BJP in the Lok Sabha elections in Delhi and asserted that the possibility of a triangular contest is “slowly disappearing” in the national capital. The senior Congress leader also raised doubts about AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal’s seriousness in defeating the BJP. Chacko said the Congress was getting a good response after the party fielded its candidates for all the seven Lok Sabha seats in Delhi, which goes to polls on May 12. Also Read – Meeting: Issues related to handling of Airport Entry Passes discussedDelhi Pradesh Congress Committee (DPCC) on Thursday introduced its candidates before the media at its party office here. Talking to reporters, Chacko said he has “doubts” about Kejriwal’s seriousness to defeat the Bhartitya Janata Party in Delhi. “Earlier, we thought there is a triangular fight in Delhi, but (the possibility) of a triangular fight is disappearing slowly in Delhi. We have a direct fight with BJP in Delhi,” the party’s general secretary in-charge of Delhi said. Also Read – Arms supplier arested from RajasthanAsked about the possibility of any alliance between the Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party even after both parties announced its candidates, Chacko said that it is now a closed chapter. “It is difficult to get the AAP into confidence because we have doubts about Kejriwal’s intension…without any reason, he (Kejriwal) stepped back that is why we still have doubt about him being serious in defeating the BJP,” the Congress leader said. Asserting that there will be no split of anti-BJP votes in Delhi, he said in the entire country, there is fight between the Congress and BJP. “Anti-BJP votes will come to Congress. In the entire country, there is fight between Rahul Gandhi and Narendra Modi and in view of this, there will be no split of votes,” Chacko also said. Congress president and North-east candidate Sheila Dikshit said that the Congress candidates are familiar with the people of Delhi as they have been serving them for past many years in various capacities.
There’s been no shortage of attention on the Sacramento Kings in the wake of their mind-boggling choice to deal DeMarcus Cousins to New Orleans for pennies on the dollar. But one thing that’s garnered almost no scrutiny is the inconsistency of the team’s play.The Kings this season have lost a league-worst five games in which they once held a lead of 15 points or more, according to NBA Miner, a site that tracks advanced and unusual statistics. But they’ve also tied for an NBA-best four wins in contests that they once trailed in by 15 points or more. How are those two things even possible?Well, it helps when you’re as inconsistent as the Kings are. Sacramento is the NBA’s worst team in first halves by far yet owns the league’s 10th-best net rating1A net rating measures how many points a team outscores an opponent by — or is outscored by — for every 100 possessions. in second halves (even better than the defending-champion Cavs). Those numbers fit the pattern of what’s happened in the team’s craziest outcomes: Three of Sacramento’s four major comebacks this season began during the third quarter, while four of the Kings’ five collapses began unraveling in the second quarter.In the comebacks, the Kings often had trouble containing opposing forwards — Andrew Wiggins, Gordon Hayward, Tobias Harris and Paul Millsap, among others — in the early going. But Sacramento wisely dumped the ball into Cousins, who repeatedly drew fouls and visits to the line during second halves, which allowed his team to play catch-up with the clock stopped. This especially worked in a 94-93 win over Utah, in which Cousins shot 10 free throws in the fourth quarter without taking a single field-goal attempt.During the back-breaking losses, the slow-paced Kings have often been outrun by their opponents. In a game on Nov. 10, the Lakers outscored Sacramento 13-4 in second-half fast-break points, according to NBA.com. The Warriors outscored the Kings 21-3 in fast-break scenarios during the second half of their Jan. 8 comeback. And the Pacers finished with a 22-0 second-half advantage in fast-break scoring over the Kings en route to a come-from-behind victory on Jan. 18. (Sacramento’s 3-point defense, one of the worst in the NBA, was also less than stellar in those second-half efforts.)Cousins obviously had a ton to do with the Kings’ outcomes in these games — particularly in a 3-point loss to the Sixers in which he had 46 points but fouled out in the final minute. But the loss of Rudy Gay, out for the season, arguably had a bigger impact in some cases.Gay tore one of his Achilles tendons in the midst of one of the collapses, with the Kings up by 10 against Indiana in a Jan. 18 contest that Sacramento once led by 22. Gay’s injury took a psychological toll on the club that night, Cousins told reporters after the game. Cousins shot 0-for-9 with six turnovers after halftime.And there was a tangible difference in the team’s play. Without Gay’s ability to ease some of the scoring burden (his 26 percent usage rate was the team’s second-highest before the team remade itself at the trade deadline), Cousins was overworked in some fourth periods. His fourth-quarter usage rate jumped to 57.5 percent during the last week and a half of January, after Gay’s injury, up from 37 percent earlier in the same month. That’d be asking too much of anyone — let alone the NBA’s most double-teamed post player.Video Playerhttps://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/cousinsnorudygay.mp400:0000:0000:16Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.Things will change considerably now that Cousins is in New Orleans. The Kings can only hope that the move allows for increased stability, and perhaps fewer blown leads, going forward.Check out our latest NBA predictions.
Then-sophomore forward Katie Matheny (23) skates down the ice during a game against New Hampshire on Oct. 4, 2014 at the Ohio State Ice Rink. OSU won, 4-3. Credit: Lantern file photoAgainst the high-scoring Wisconsin Badgers, the Ohio State women’s hockey team failed to sustain momentum after its opening-weekend victories against Lindenwood, getting dismantled twice.The Buckeyes allowed 15 goals on 102 shots in the two games, including a combined five first-period goals. Conversely, the Scarlet and Gray only took a combined 29 shots of its own in the two games.The third-ranked Badgers’ goal scoring opened early on Saturday when sophomore forward Emily Clark tallied a point 30 seconds into the game. The Badgers would proceed to score three goals on the power play in the third period of the first game, en route to topping the Buckeyes 7-0.Special teams play had been an emerging strength for OSU early in the season, but the series against Wisconsin demonstrated that there is still plenty of work to be done. In addition to the three goals the Buckeyes allowed with a player in the box, the Badgers scored a goal while on the penalty kill on Saturday. The Buckeyes went 0-of-4 in power-play opportunities on Sunday, which ended as another lopsided loss by the final score of 8-0.The squad’s strongest period of play from the weekend was the second period on Sunday, when OSU recorded nine shots on goal and successfully killed two penalties, and despite the penalties was able to control the pace of play for much of the period. The Buckeyes will look to get back on track when they return to Columbus for their first home series of the season against Minnesota beginning on Friday. The puck is set to drop in the first game at 6:07 p.m. and 2:07 p.m. the following day.
Goalscoring hero Jan Bednarek believes that Poland have a bright future ahead of them after sealing a 1-0 win over Japan in their final World Cup gameThe Southampton defender’s well-taken volley following a Rafal Kurzawa free-kick sealed Adam Nawalka’s side their first win of the tournament after losing their first two games in disappointing fashion against Senegal and Colombia.After the match, Nawalka denied that the World Cup had been a waste of time for Poland and insisted that it was a valuable experience for the younger players.And 22-year-old Bednarek backed his coach’s thinking.Report: Euro 2020 qualifying Group G George Patchias – September 9, 2019 Euro 2020 qualifying Group G, saw Robert Lewandowski draw another blank.What should have been a plane sailing group for Poland, has turned out to…“It didn’t work out for us at the World Cup, but we’re finishing it on a positive note and we’re optimistic about the future,” he told Polish TV, via ESPN.“I think for some of us it’s only the beginning, it’s our first World Cup, a new experience and we’ll go ahead, we’ll be more mature, more experienced, it will be a positive thing for us.“We certainly started the Cup wrong, it didn’t look like we wanted it to look, and then it was too late. This is how the World Cup works, you have to win games right from the start. But it’s a lesson for us, we’ll learn our lesson.”Poland ended their World Cup campaign with a fourth-place finish in Group H with three points.