MIAMI, United States (CMC):Enigmatic former West Indies opener Kieran Powell looks set to turn his back on cricket, if his foray into the world of baseball is successful.The 25-year-old is currently in Florida ahead of a trial at the IMG Academy on January 13, as he seeks to land a contract with a Major League Baseball team, media reports have said.”An opportunity came about after a few discrepancies with the West Indies Cricket Board. I decided to take some time off from cricket and some footage of me playing cricket was seen by the LA Dodgers,” Powell said.”I’ve had some training out here in the US for a few months.”Powell was one of the brightest sparks in West Indies cricket before he bizarrely walked away from the game a year and a half ago.He played in the first match of the three-Test series against touring New Zealand last year June but subsequently bowed out of action and never returned.The Nevisian has also not played for Leeward Islands Hurricanes in any format of the West Indies domestic championship.Powell, who has played 21 Tests and 28 one-day internationals, said he was looking forward to his new career.”[Baseball is] really fun, it’s an interesting game, I’ve loved every minute of it so far, and I hope to continue doing it for the rest of my career,” he said.”It’s a unique opportunity, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing. This is what dreams are made of as I said earlier. I’m just so excited about it, like everyone’s so excited about it.”While Powell has a modest average of 27 in Tests, he was good enough to score a hundred in both innings of a Test against Bangladesh three years ago.
A new ruling that requires female badminton players to wear skirts on court is causing unease among players as they prepare to adopt the new compulsory dress code.The Indian Open Super Series, which begins next Tuesday, will be the last tournament in which women can wear shorts on court before the skirt requirement comes into force on May 1.The Badminton World Federation (BWF) announced the change in 2009 in a bid to boost the sport’s profile among viewers and sponsors.Doubles specialist and glamour girl Jwala Gutta, who has always played in skirts, said the new dress code might help to raise interest but players should not be forced to conform.Doubles player Jwala Gutta feels that players should not be forced to wear skirts.”You cannot make it compulsory for everyone to wear skirts. It depends on each individual and their comfortable level. I am not sure people will like being told what to wear and what not to,” she said.World number three Saina Nehwal, the top seed at the April 26- May 1 India Open Super Series, is one of the many players who prefers to wear shorts on court. Gutta, who won the Commonwealth Games gold last year with Ashwini Ponnapa, endorsed efforts to make the sport more glamourous.She said that interest in tennis was greater partly because of the attraction of female stars such as Maria Sharapova or the Williams sisters, whose on- court outfits are often as remarked about as their game.Ace tennis player Sania Mirza came under fire from muslim clerics four years back for wear- ing short skirts on court.advertisement”Anything that helps makes the sport attractive should be welcomed,” said the 27-year-old Gutta, whose eye- catching looks and daring dress sense on and off court have won her a loyal following at home. ” But instead of enforcing rules on players, the federation should ask sponsors to come up with innovative dresses.You can add a lot of colour, experiment with styling and stuff like that. That way it will ensure players’ comfort and take care of the glamour aspect as well.” Another Indian player, who asked not to be named, said she was uncomfortable with the new ruling. ” I wear skirts or dresses only on special occasions, but never in tournaments,” she said.”Skirts hamper my movement when I play.”ASIAN CHAMPIONSHIPIndia’s young brigade, including Sai Praneeth and Saurabh Verma, will look to create a few upsets when they take on their higher- ranked opponents in the Asian Badminton Championship starting on Tuesday in ChengDu, China.The Indian team, besides Ajay Jayaram who pulled out at the last moment due to injury, will be led by Praneeth and Saurabh in the men’s singles and the duo would hope to make their presence felt in the prestigious international tournament.
New Delhi, Jun 24 (PTI) Against the backdrop of a report claiming carcinogenic contents in bread, FSSAI today said such studies should be made public only after “due diligence”, as otherwise it creates panic.”While we appreciate the case… that highlights issues and points out various risks associated with the food we consume, there is also serious concern in terms of implications when such studies are reported in the media and tend to create panic,” Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) CEO Pawan Agarwal told reporters here.Last month, the Sunita Narain-led Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) in its report had said commonly available brands of pre-packaged breads, including pav and buns, tested positive for potassium bromate and potassium iodate banned in many countries as these are listed as “hazardous” for public health.Following that, FSSAI banned the use of potassium bromate as an additive in food products.”… we have referred the issue to the scientific panel which is meeting on (June) 28th. In fact, we have invited CSE to make a presentation on potassium iodate and also on potassium bromate in terms of their findings,” he said.”And the scientific committee will also examine that issue in the context of recommendation of the joint parliamentary committee that had recommended a very cautious approach in reporting of issues relating to food without proper due diligence.”He was speaking at a CII event on launch of the CII-HUL Initiative on Food Safety Sciences (CHIFSS). FSSAI also signed an MoU with CHIFSS.advertisementThe Food Safety Management System Guidance Document for Ice Creams and Frozen Desserts was also released alongside the launch of CHIFSS website. PTI JTR ARD
Francesco Totti has criticised the VAR officials after a 2-2 draw with Inter Milan questioning why they failed to see the penaltyClub legend and director Totti spoke to the media in place of Coach Eusebio Di Francesco after the game.“It was an open game between two great teams who scored four goals, created many more chances, hit the woodwork and were denied a penalty. It was very exciting,” the director told Football Italia.The reference was to an incident 30 seconds before the opening Inter goal, when Danilo D’Ambrosio clearly tripped Nicolò Zaniolo just inside the penalty area.The remarkable element is that Fabbri in the VAR booth did not alert referee Gianluca Rocchi to the foul or ask him to view it again.Capello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“Everyone saw it, there’s no need to describe. I want to know, and we all do, how those in the VAR booth didn’t see that foul. We all saw it on a far smaller screen. It’s shameful.“Why don’t you call them and ask how they didn’t see that? This is precisely what VAR was introduced for. Rocchi might’ve seen it or not, but that’s not the issue. The VAR officials had to see it. Fabbri was watching another game on his screen, evidently.“We cannot go on like this. There are meetings, we go here and there to discuss how VAR is used, when and in what way, then it’s not used on an incident like this?“That’s not because it’s Roma, it could happen to any club. It’s impossible. Someone ought to call Fabbri and ask: ‘What were you looking at?’ It’s all fine to laugh and joke, but this is serious.“We’re not seeking alibis, but this changes the game. We could’ve taken the lead, moments later Inter score. It changes the entire match and that can change an entire season.”