Ex-Premier League manager Redknapp claims his players bet on a match

first_imgFormer Premier League manager Harry Redknapp said his players bet on the result of one of their matches, according to the newspaper investigation that has seen England coach Sam Allardyce lose his job.The Daily Telegraph’s undercover reporters filmed Redknapp discussing the game although the 69-year-old later told the paper he did not think it was against FA rules at the time.However, FA rules ban players from betting on matches they are involved in and managers are expected to report any misconduct.The Telegraph said lawyers for Redknapp said he was not aware of players betting on the match at the time.The newspaper did not say which club was involved. (Sam Allardyce contrite after being sacked as England manager)Former West Ham United, Portsmouth, Southampton, Tottenham Hotspur and Queens Park Rangers manager Redknapp met reporters posing as representatives of a Far East firm that wanted to break into English football’s billion-pound transfer market.Redknapp has denied any wrongdoing. (England manager Sam Allardyce caught in newspaper sting)The newspaper’s revelations have so far led to Allardyce and Barnsley assistant manager Tommy Wright losing their jobs. Allardyce was sacked on Tuesday after the FA said he had behaved inappropriately following secret filming that showed him offering advice to businessmen on how to circumvent rules on player transfers. (Sam Allardyce sacked by English Football Association after newspaper sting)last_img read more

PM Holness on Official Working Visit to Chile

first_img The prime minister is accompanied by Senator the Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade,  Her Excellency Alison Stone Roofe,  Ambassador of Jamaica to Chile as well as the Economic Growth Council and Ambassador Nigel Clarke. Prime Minister Andrew Holness is to hold a series of bilateral engagements with the Government of the Republic of Chile. Prime Minister Andrew Holness is to hold a series of bilateral engagements with the Government of the Republic of Chile.The prime minister left the island this afternoon (August 29) for a one day official working visit to the South American nation.Prime Minister Holness will meet with President of Chile, Her Excellency Michelle Bachelet, to enhance bilateral co-operation between the two countries.He will also explore other areas of co-operation including tourism and business development as he is slated to have dialogue with senior managers and national businessmen of the tourism and hotel industry at the National Chamber of Commerce, Services and Tourism of Chile.The prime minister is accompanied by Senator the Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade,  Her Excellency Alison Stone Roofe,  Ambassador of Jamaica to Chile as well as the Economic Growth Council and Ambassador Nigel Clarke.The Prime Minister will return on Thursday, August 31.While he is off the island, the Hon. Dr. Horace Chang, Minister without portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation will be in charge of the government.center_img Story Highlightslast_img read more

No trial date yet for Nova Scotia police chief facing sexual assault

first_imgBRIDGEWATER, N.S. – The case of a Nova Scotia police chief accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl has been set over until a pre-trial consultation Aug. 9.At that time, it’s expected a trial date will be set in Nova Scotia Supreme Court for John Collyer.Collyer of the Bridgewater Police Service was placed on administrative leave in August 2016 after the province’s Serious Incident Response Team confirmed it was investigating the alleged assault.The 26-year veteran of the force was suspended in May 2017 after the independent police watchdog charged him with one count of sexual assault and two counts of sexual exploitation.The girl was 17 at the time of the alleged offences in Bridgewater between April and July of 2016.In July 2017, Collyer elected to have the case heard by judge alone in Nova Scotia Supreme Court.last_img read more

SARAH MCLACHLAN SET TO PERFORM CANADIAN ANTHEM AS RAPTORS AIM FOR TITLE

first_imgSarah McLachlan is pictured at the Juno Awards Nominations event in Toronto on Tuesday, January 29, 2019. The 12-time Juno Award winner will host this year’s awards show. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young Advertisement Sarah McLachlan will sing Canada’s national anthem tonight as the Toronto Raptors attempt to win their first NBA championship.The league has announced the Halifax-born singer-songwriter will perform O Canada prior to Game 6 of the NBA Finals between the Raptors and Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena.The American anthem will be sung by Pat Monahan of pop-rock act Train. Advertisement It is the last Warriors game at the Oakland, Calif., facility before the team moves to San Francisco. The Raptors lead the best-of-seven series 3-2.Previous renditions of O Canada at the NBA Finals in Oakland have been met with mixed reviews.Saskatchewan-born country singer Tenille Arts faced some backlash on social media after Game 3 as several people accused her of “butchering” the anthem by veering away from its familiar tune.Walk Off the Earth, Burlington, Ont., band, divided audiences for Game 4 when the four members gathered around a triple-necked string instrument for an acoustic folk version of “O Canada.”Longtime Toronto national anthem performer Doug Tranquada delivered the opening stanza to O Canada in Game 5 before letting fans at Scotiabank Arena take over on Monday night.McLachlan, a Juno and Grammy winner, has a history of singing O Canada to usher in historic sports moments.She performed the anthem at Canadian football team the BC Lions’ first game back at their newly refurbished home stadium in 2011. Two years later, she sang for the NHL’s Vancouver Canucks home opener. Twittercenter_img Login/Register With: Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisementlast_img read more

Algonquin community of Kitigan Zibi tries to make the world a sweeter

first_imgAPTN National NewsKitigan Zibi will have its maple sugar production running at full capacity this spring.The reason?They’re going international.APTN’s Maike Eikelmann reports on how Kitigan Zibi is trying to conquer the maple syrup world – one country at a time.last_img