Funds available to pay dismissed Wales sugar workers – Holder

first_img– as court ruling remains pending; matter to be heard today – GAWUWhile thousands of dismissed workers across the sugar belt were paid the final tranche of their severance payments, ex-Wales Sugar Estate workers are yet to receive their legally entitled benefits, as the matter is still before the court.Wales Sugar EstateHowever, Agriculture Minister Noel Holder is insisting that Government is ready to pay the workers, noting that the funds are available.“I spoke to GuySuCo (Guyana Sugar Corporation) and they said that unlike the others with the straightforward supplementary, that case is before the court. We have the money to pay, and if the court case with the workers and the union is done this week, they can get paid by weekend…we are ready,” Holder told this publication on Monday.GAWU President, Komal ChandHis comments came in response to a story carried in this newspaper wherein it was revealed that over 350 workers who had been attached to the Wales Sugar Estate were not paid their severance. These workers are involved in a court case wherein they contend that their employer, GuySuCo, was acting unlawfully by compelling them to travel 22 miles from their point of origin to Uitvlugt on the West Coast of Demerara.According to President of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU), Komal Chand, the court case is scheduled to be heard before Justice Sandil Kissoon today (Tuesday). It was in early November that the National Assembly gave approval for almost $2.5 billion to cater for the remaining severance payments to 4,723 sugar workers.Earlier this year, Government opted to pay some workers half of their severance, with the remaining half to be paid in the latter part of the year. It was last Friday that the majority of payments were made. During last week, Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo gave all assurances that the Wales workers who were previously prevented from receiving severance pay by the GAWU-filed court case would receive their outstanding benefits.Agriculture Minister Noel HolderA report by Government agency the Department of Public Information (DPI) claimed that many former workers benefited from alternative livelihood programmes designed to equip them with skills to seek employment in different areas such as sewing, cosmetology, caring for the elderly, catering, mechanical and electrical works, and small business management. This was in contrast to what Guyana Times has been reporting over the last two years — that many of these very workers are finding great difficulty is obtaining consistent and well-paying employment. In December 2016, Wales was the first Estate that was closed in the current era of Governmental rule. Other Estates closed were Skeldon, Enmore and Rose Hall, all of which were re-opened under small operations as GuySuCo eyes local, regional and international investors to manage the entities.last_img read more

Cardinals stopped in third OT

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Slaton, who set a school record with his TD splurge, gave West Virginia (6-1, 3-0 Big East) a 44-38 lead with a short TD run in the third OT. White, who replaced injured Adam Bednarik in the fourth quarter, then found Dorrell Jalloh with a 2-point conversion pass for a 46-38 lead. After Wicks stopped Brohm’s attempt to force a fourth OT, thousands of Mountaineer fans ran onto the field in a celebration, NCAA rules require teams to go for a 2-point conversion following touchdowns starting with the third overtime. “It was supposed to be a pass play,” said Brohm, who completed 31 of 49 passes for 277 yards, two TDs and an interception. “They covered it pretty well, so I took off with it. They came off the ball and stopped me. I have three options there. We were trying to get someone in the back of the end zone. I tried to run it myself when that did not work. I didn’t get in.” Slaton, who ran for five scores and caught a TD pass, broke the school mark of five TDs shared by three players. MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Steve Slaton had just scored his sixth touchdown and backup quarterback Pat White converted a 2-point conversion pass in the third overtime. Now, West Virginia’s defense needed to stop No. 19 Louisville one last time. It did – eventually. “This is the first time ever in my life that I’ve scored six touchdowns,” the freshman running back said. “And I didn’t realize it until afterward.” With fellow freshman Jason Gwaltney out for a month with a knee injury, West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez abandoned his rotation of four running backs and gave most of the work to Slaton, who finished with 188 yards on 31 carries. “I don’t know what happened. We had guys in position sometimes and we just couldn’t tackle him,” Louisville coach Bobby Petrino said. Bush and Brohm staked Louisville (4-2, 0-2) to a 24-7 third-quarter lead, and it seemed the Cardinals finally got the solid effort they had shown in three blowout wins at home but lacked on the road. But Louisville’s defense, which had limited West Virginia to just 56 total yards in the first half, fell apart. West Virginia scored the final six times it had the ball. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img Michael Bush scored his fourth TD, but WVU’s Eric Wicks tackled Cardinals’ quarterback Brian Brohm at the 3 on the 2-point try and the Mountaineers had themselves a 46-44 victory Saturday. “I just had to stop him,” Wicks said. “I guess he had no options, so he tried scrambling. I was surprised that he actually tried to pull it down and run.” last_img read more